Grad School -> MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petitprincesse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
tumblr_l9u6awaQ611qaw6v4o1_1280.png

Bachelors degrees:
Molecular Biology
Chem with Biochem concentration

Masters:
Apploed mol bio

Not much for shadowing/volunteering.

I applied to MDs- What are my chances? Should I apply to DOs? Is it too late for DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Define "not much for shadowing/volunteering." What other pertinent ECs do you have?

With a 3.27/33 your MD chances are somewhat south of 51.3%, if you applied earlier in the season, probably even less than that without the usual and customary ECs.

It isn't too late for DO, but they will expect a certain minimum in the EC department as well.

If you have a masters degree, how do you have only 6 hours of credit?

Define "not much for shadowing/volunteering." What other pertinent ECs do you have?

With a 3.27/33 your MD chances are somewhat south of 51.3%, if you applied earlier in the season, probably even less than that without the usual and customary ECs.

It isn't too late for DO, but they will expect a certain minimum in the EC department as well.

If you have a masters degree, how do you have only 6 hours of credit?

About 200 hours volunteering, 100 of which were at a hospital, receptionist kinda thing. No shadowing. No other EC.

I'm finishing my MS this year, it will have 4 pass/fail classes (1 cr each) 9 GPA credits (6 of which are mentioned here), and the rest is thesis work (~18 cr, pass/fail).

I never really volunteered bc I was doing the double bachelors, siiilllyyyy

Would you say that your volunteering didn't really include much patient contact time where you interacted with sick people? If so, you really need to fix that for med schools to take your application seriously. Shadowing is also significantly valued by most med schools. So is nonmedical community service, teaching, and research.

Considering how little graded, hard-science coursework you'll have at the masters level, your current coursework isn't doing much to help establish you as a candidate who can consistently earn great grades in hard science, and who will be able to survive the science intense environment of med school (unless the value of "1 credit" differs from that used at the undergrad level at your school). Is this a traditional masters or a medical masters? Your current grades are terrific, but along with only 9.0 hours of great postbac grades at the undergrad level, I think you still have a lot to prove to adcomms.

Since you are completing the masters, you might consider doing a Special Masters Program (see Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for more info) which can override your undergrad GPA if you earn consistent high grades, or do another two years of 4.0 undergrad classes to get your uGPA up to 3.48 for MD.

Or, for DO, you can retake some of the lowest grades and take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy to boost your GPA up even faster.

I'm sure there may be special circumstances or modifying factors that I'm not aware of that might change some of my advice, but these are my comments based on what you've given us (which is the problem with trying to give advice with a minimum of information).