1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

grad school route to acceptance ( DO)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mblair, Oct 25, 2001.

1. mblair

mblair New Member

Is anyone applying to the graduate programs offered at PCOM or NOVA (Masters in Biomedical Science) as an alternate route to get accepted into a DO program? I'm interested in the success rates of people actually getting into DO school. Is it possible to get in after only one year? Is it likely to get in after one year? Are there other programs like this out there? I would greatly appreciate any info you may have.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi, I don't know about those specific programs, but if your science grades are good, you could always get a masters in something else and then apply. I got my MA in Bioethics from Case Western Reserve in Cleveland. I have no doubt that it strengthened my application because, in addition to learning all about health care and the medical system, we did 200 hours of clinical observation (going on rounds, visiting nursing homes, seeing burn victims, etc...) which was SO interesting. There are several programs around the country but CWRU's is the most clinically based. I think it was an outstanding program and what I learned will help me as a physician for years to come. Just my two cents. :)

4. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I just read the replies on the osteo board (please don't cross post unless you have to). Just to add what I said- the bioethics program only takes a year and I think it improved my application a lot because ethics is a hot topic and plus I have a unique perspective going into med school now. Just a thought. You could always do this program while you were applying to med schools. :)

5. venus0206

venus0206 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey there,
    Im currently in the Biomed grad program at PCOM. Almost all of my fellow classmates who have applied to PCOM or other osteopathic schools have recevied an acceptance or at least a waitlist. I only know about one or two folks out of 15 people who applied who got rejected flat out. I think if you are in the biomed program, you are guaranteed an interview and supposedly you have priority on the waitlist for PCOM if you were in the program. These people im talking about all applied during their first year of the program. Out of 50 total people in the program, only about 15 or so go onto the 2nd year (not all the student want to go to medical schoo, some want to apply allopathic, etc.). Keep in mind that if you want to do surgery, the 2nd year would be benefitial. from what I hear it is necessary to have research experience going into surgery as a DO. Hope that answered most of your questions!:D

6. venus0206

venus0206 Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh,
    and another thing...
    the first year classes are basically the same science classes that first year medical school students take so it is a good way to show that you can play hardball. From what I remember, I also think it is cheaper than the programs at MCP Hahnemann IMS/MSP programs, which, if you wanted to do a 2nd year, will only grant you a non-thesis master's which is basically useless...

7. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

I heard the OSU-COM has some sort of post-bac program going on here in the summer, but I have no idea what it is. Try calling the school and asking for details if this is a place you'd want to attend.

8. Osteoblasts

Osteoblasts Member
    7+ Year Member

hey fernezz, i couldn't any information about osu-com post-bac on thier website. Is it just a summmer program geared toward mcat preparations?

9. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not that I've been asking, but I haven't heard of a post-bac at OSU-COM. Maybe there is something at the main campus in Stillwater.

10. PublicHealth

PublicHealth Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'm currently pursuing an MPH in Epidemiology, and plan to apply to med school this summer. As stated above, if your science grades are good, go for a graduate degree. As long as you enjoy the area, you will have no regrets! Being able to tie in your graduate experience with your ultimate goal(s) as a physician is also very useful...or so I've been told.

I'm interested in neuropsychiatry and preventive medicine, and definitely plan to incorporate my graduate training in public health into my medical career.

Good luck!

PH

11. Forensic Chick

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm finishing up my Master's in Forensic Science and during my interview they were interested in why I wanted to pursue a graduate degree (in general) when I wanted to be a physician. I do believe that my 3/4 completion of the degree shows that I'm able to handle graduate studies as well as manage my time (working full time/volunteering/school).

If you want a Master's degree -- go for it. A good graduate GPA can only help your application. I don't know about those who just complete part of a degree to get into school (why waste the time and $$) -- but whatever works I guess...

Good luck! :hardy:

12. phar

phar The Pacifist
    7+ Year Member

master degrees will not pay any crap if you get rejected again!. Plus, all masters take 2yrs to complete and no medical school will allow you to marticulate unless you have earned your Masters. I suggest you go for 2-year PA schools or 3-year pharmd programs. So, if you still get denied. You got an $80k+ job awaiting for you. good luck

13. phd2b

phd2b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    phar,
    I have to take a little exception to your comments.

"master degrees will not pay any crap if you get rejected again!"

I guess it depends on what you define as 'crap'. I have paid up to $50K for master's level epidemiologists with no prior experience to work at CDC. For those with additional experience, the numbers are much larger (depends on the subject matter area, of course...)

"Plus, all masters take 2yrs to complete and no medical school will allow you to marticulate unless you have earned your Masters."

There are MANY master's degree programs that can be completed in one calendar year, including the MPH at many schools. Also, some medical programs care if you finish your master's program, but some, apparently, do not. There are DO's schools who don't seem to care whether you finish or not. I do agree, however, that you should shoot to finish, if at all possible.

"I suggest you go for 2-year PA schools or 3-year pharmd programs. So, if you still get denied. You got an $80k+ job awaiting for you. good luck"

I tend to think that most folks who are dedicated to the task of getting into a medical/osteopathic medical program might not ultimately be happy as a P.A. or PharmD (no offense to those who are in those careers), as a backup. Maybe they will be. Also, at some level, it can't fundamentally be about the money...

Your mileage may vary...