1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

grad school route to DO?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by mblair, Oct 25, 2001.

1. mblair

mblair New Member

Has anyone out there completed or is now currently enrolled in one of the Masters of Biomedical Science programs offered at PCOM, LECOM, or NOVA? I'm interested in finding info on the success of this route, esp. NOVA? Do people get accepted after one year? How likely is it? After completion what are your chances of getting in? What can a person do with a grad degree like this? Are there other programs like this out there? I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

First off I'd like to say that I didn't not take this route.. I opted for working on my Masters degree (biochem/clinical chem) instead.

My rationale: What the hell is one going to do with post-bacc work in "biomedical sciences?" It seems a useless degree.

Now could it be good for picking up a low GPA? Yes. Can it get you known to the faculty/adcom of a particular school? Yes. Does it give the school another $20,000? Yes. Is the degree good for anything other than getting into a medical school? Probally not. Does the degree guarantee that you'll be accepted into a medical program? No.

Weigh the options. Personally, I opted for a more "useful" degree. Some people like vanilla, some chocolate.

-A

4. mblair

mblair New Member

My problem is that I'm 32, had a 2.8 in undergrad...PSYC BA. As a post-bac.I've got a 3.9 with a weak verbal score, average sciences and good written on the MCAT. Other than the verbal I would be a good candidate...work, volunteer, as well as taking 2 graduate level classes now thru a program at my university. I really don't want to go to grad school at all and being 32 I don't want to mess around. I'm trying to find the most direct path to learning what I need to learn in route to med school and for med school. The work load dosn't scare me I just need a chance to get my foot in the door. My post bac. work is done. What are you planning to do with your Masters degree in biochem/clinical chem?

5. dieselkid

dieselkid Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey- Never heard of this program...but, I was in a post-bacc premed program. Their are programs at Mills College, Oakland, CA and Scripps College, Claremont, CA and I think Brynn Mawr. You would be taking all undergraduate sciences in the guise of being a grad student. The nice thing is that if you have zero science background, you will have met all the requirements for applying in 2 years.

Alternatively, you can also save some money and take all the courses at community colleges. But, get some really strong letters of recommnendation. I did both...and wasn't the worse for it. The post-bacc programs look nice on paper...but, I wouldn't dismiss community colleges. In the bay area- or anywhere else where there is biotech- a lot the non-tenured faculty works in industry, so the instruction is killer. If you are in the Bay Area/ go to SF City College, or Laney College for Ochem. $12 per unit- you cannot beat that!! If you have been out of school for awhile and are trying to put this together...call up your undergrad and talk to a premed advisor...they'll set you straight.

If you've already done something with your life and are coming upon this...medical schools are already interested...they just love non-traditional applicants.

Goodluck and don't give up.
    -dieselkid

6. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

You don't really have to finish your grad degree... just show an improvement.

BTW, I'm 30. Age is to your advantage!! Sell your age, maturity, and experiences. We are stronger candidates because of it.

-A

7. Steev2000

Steev2000 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey,
    I can tell you a bit about the program at Nova, but only a little bit, because I had never heard of this until I started here this year. As far as I know, the requirement is that you maintain an 80% average in all of your MBS classes to be eligible to apply to become an M-1 the following year. Every MBS student last year who did this and applied, is now in my class. So I would say it is pretty likely that you can do it. Another perk of the program is that if you make 90% or above, you do not have to retake the same classes when you become an M-1. So many of the former MBS students really have it easy now! That is about the extent of my knowledge on the MBS program, and I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is how it works. It definitely takes some of the pressure off by decreasing the work load, but it takes another year longer and that much more money. That is a small price to pay though in the long run if becoming a physician is what you want to do. Hope everything works out for you, take care,

Zach

8. mblair

mblair New Member

Thanks for the info everyone!! Zach that's exactly what I was interested in. I'm glad to hear they were succesful. This may be my route.