Grad studies advice please- us & europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

books31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Help please!
I would appreciate any advice, tips, opinions, personal experiences, etc. (for purposed of deadlines and plans). Currently I am in my first year of grad school for psychology. I am looking to transfer out (not happy with my current location) of my program FAST to another state (as you all know, time is money and not all credits may transfer).

Although, for my undergrad. I studied in Berlin for an exchange program and felt that was such a valuable learning experience of going abroad. I absolutely loved my time there! If anybody has studied abroad, then one knows the feeling. I would like to study abroad again. I believe in preparation for any field of study, it is pertinent to immerse yourself in another culture... not just to a new city of the US, but to another country.

I wanted input if I should finish out my master's in the US and then apply for the doctoral degree in Europe (I am looking at the UK, mainly London)? Or apply for the master's in the UK, and obtain the doctorate in the US? I am aware that the Ph.d obtained in the E.U. does not prep for APA guidelines.

PLEASE... ANY FEEDBACK?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Help please!
I would appreciate any advice, tips, opinions, personal experiences, etc. (for purposed of deadlines and plans). Currently I am in my first year of grad school for psychology. I am looking to transfer out (not happy with my current location) of my program FAST to another state (as you all know, time is money and not all credits may transfer).

Although, for my undergrad. I studied in Berlin for an exchange program and felt that was such a valuable learning experience of going abroad. I absolutely loved my time there! If anybody has studied abroad, then one knows the feeling. I would like to study abroad again. I believe in preparation for any field of study, it is pertinent to immerse yourself in another culture... not just to a new city of the US, but to another country.

I wanted input if I should finish out my master's in the US and then apply for the doctoral degree in Europe (I am looking at the UK, mainly London)? Or apply for the master's in the UK, and obtain the doctorate in the US? I am aware that the Ph.d obtained in the E.U. does not prep for APA guidelines.

PLEASE... ANY FEEDBACK?

Thank you :)

Well, I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I can relay my personal experience (thus far). I hope my rambling will help.

I just earned my M.A. in the U.S. and I am about to start a Ph.D. program in Europe (The Netherlands, specifically). This process was a series of unexpected events, but here I am! My position specifically was for a non-Dutch student, and it is tied into a grant. It was more like a job advertisement than the traditional application process in the U.S. My position is not clinical, so I cannot give you any information on that front...although what area of psych are you interested in? I didn't explicitly see it in your post.

If you want to do research work, I think getting a European Ph.D. isn't a bad route. You just have to know what your future goals are. For example, I do want to get a professor position back in the U.S. eventually, which means I will likely get a post-doc back in the U.S. (to get teaching experience) and focus a lot on publications when working on my Ph.D. to show my Europeans degree is the same quality as an American degree. Just figure out what you want before deciding what path you choose.

I know this information is limited, but feel free to ask me questions (now or after I start my program in the fall), and I'll try to help!

Good luck! :luck: