Grade cutoff. When applying to Medical School what do they see?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baylor2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With respect to grades, when you apply do the admissions faculty see your fresh, soph, and junior grades only?
A bit confused.. :S
I'd imagine that they'd probably take a look at your first semester of senior year before accepting you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine that they'd probably take a look at your first semester of senior year before accepting you.

I can't think of a single school I interviewed at that wanted my senior grades. I was waitlisted at one top-tier school and sent them a copy of my Fall senior transcript to show that I was maintaining 4.0, but that's about it.

lots of schools require senior grades. uva wants a written explanation for any C senior grade and will reevaluate you if you get a D.

Last edited:
they'll see whatever's on your transcripts when you submit them for amcas verification. if you are applying during your senior year, that's going to be just the first three years worth, yes. plenty of people are accepted prior to xmas without the need for submitting fall grades.

lots of schools will request your fall semester grades in january, but it's still a relatively uncommon practice. most won't. but it is an excellent excuse to demonstrate interest in a program by submitting them unbidden once they are available.