Grade for LECOM rotations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugger14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to put down a LECOM deposit soon, but I am not sure yet if it is the school for me. My most important consideration are 3rd and 4th yr rotations. I would greatly appreciate any insight!
-how much freedom do you have? Are there strict limits on doing multiple rotations in one discipline?
-I'm sure this varies site to site, but is there a lot of observation or more "hands on" type of learning?
-any other praises or warnings? Thanks!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

*oops I meant LECOM-Erie

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm supposed to put down a LECOM deposit soon, but I am not sure yet if it is the school for me. My most important consideration are 3rd and 4th yr rotations. I would greatly appreciate any insight!
-how much freedom do you have? Are there strict limits on doing multiple rotations in one discipline?
-I'm sure this varies site to site, but is there a lot of observation or more "hands on" type of learning?
-any other praises or warnings? Thanks!:thumbup:
I'm not going to give you the clinical handbook... because there are ways around things. I'm currently a 4th year.

For any med student at any school, if you want to do something while on rotations, show interest. That goes for any school, you have to be proactive. You get to do what you earn. Some rotations are more of an observation as a med student (optho), whereas others you actually get to do stuff (surgery, EM). This applies to all schools, not just LECOM. As long as you take the initiative to want to do things, attendings and residents will always involve you in procedures.

You can do as many rotations in a discipline as you want here. If you want to do 6 anesthesia rotations, knock yourself out. They don't care.

I'm not really sure what you mean about "freedom", that can mean many different things so you may have to elaborate. Feel free to PM me

I'm also interested in the rotations LECOM has to offer....They told us people go to different states to do their rotations...is that a good or bad thing? Also how are the affilations with hospitals?

I'm also interested in the rotations LECOM has to offer....They told us people go to different states to do their rotations...is that a good or bad thing? Also how are the affilations with hospitals?

You can pick a geographical area option that LECOM has a "home base" and rotate through the affiliated hospitals there. LECOM does this because the class sizes are so big that there's no way they would be able to put 500 people at one hospital. So, they punt us out.

I think this is a good thing (hindsight is always 20/20). You will be more well-rounded as a med student, and different hospitals have different patient populations giving you more experience and exposure in the long run. I've talked with friends that are only at one institution for their entire training and they always seem to think we are lucky in the fact that we get to experience more places, because they all have different systems of doing things, and different styles of teaching so we can take from each the things we like develop our own blend.

There are affiliations with University Hospitals/ Case Western and Cleveland Clinic Hospitals in northeast ohio and UPMC hospitals affilitated with Pitt. 2 great med schools to help with your clinical education, I don't think you will find that type of affiliation at any other DO school. Letters of Recommendation from those places aren't going to hurt either in the application process. Just my opinion.

If your from NY, MI, or eastern PA there are sites out there as well. I'm not too familiar with them because I spent the majority of my clinicals between Pitt and UH/CCF.

is it true that if you pick when you want your vacation, they will pick your city for you/ if u pick the city LECOM will tell u when you can go on vacation? I think this may be an SDN rumor. please correct me if it isn't

Huh? That doesn't even make sense.

is it true that if you pick when you want your vacation, they will pick your city for you/ if u pick the city LECOM will tell u when you can go on vacation? I think this may be an SDN rumor. please correct me if it isn't
This is true.... kinda. They don't pick cities for you if you choose vacay month, you just have to pick from the remainder of available site that are left after the people that pref geo. Most people opt for geographic area over vacation month, unless they specifically needed a month off for their wedding, baby, etc.

Basically, in your rotation group, some people will have pref for vacay and some will have pref for geo area.

When you pick your geographic area, they will also have you put the month you would prefer for vacay. This doesn't mean you get both, but they do try to accomodate. When you pick Geo, you get first dibs on rotations @ affiliates in your area over someone in your group that preferred to have the vacay month your group was assigned.

If you pick vacay month over geography, then people that picked geographic area in your group will get first preference to the area they want over you.

Help at all?

This is true.... kinda. They don't pick cities for you if you choose vacay month, you just have to pick from the remainder of available site that are left after the people that pref geo. Most people opt for geographic area over vacation month, unless they specifically needed a month off for their wedding, baby, etc.

Basically, in your rotation group, some people will have pref for vacay and some will have pref for geo area.

When you pick your geographic area, they will also have you put the month you would prefer for vacay. This doesn't mean you get both, but they do try to accomodate. When you pick Geo, you get first dibs on rotations @ affiliates in your area over someone in your group that preferred to have the vacay month your group was assigned.

If you pick vacay month over geography, then people that picked geographic area in your group will get first preference to the area they want over you.

Help at all?

oh ok, now I see, thanks!

Help at all?

I noticed there is a hospital out in Indianapolis. What other hospitals do students rotate through if they pick this area (ie. Indiana)? I didn't see any other hospitals besides this 1, so does that mean you could do all your rotations there or are you going to have to travel back to like OH or MI?

I noticed there is a hospital out in Indianapolis. What other hospitals do students rotate through if they pick this area (ie. Indiana)? I didn't see any other hospitals besides this 1, so does that mean you could do all your rotations there or are you going to have to travel back to like OH or MI?

That's the only one out there.
You can do all of them there... if you want. There are "mandatory" hospitals that hve to have a student at them at all times, but usually not a prob for people to go where they are needed.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, promise.

That's the only one out there.
You can do all of them there... if you want....

If you're talking about Westview the one small problem with that is that that hospital doesn't have all the mandatory rotations-- for next year there are no OB, Peds or Psyc spots available-- so you'd have to do them elsewhere. That's just the problem with some of the smaller hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 2nd year and got all my rotations for next year in NYC. Hope that helps.

If you're talking about Westview the one small problem with that is that that hospital doesn't have all the mandatory rotations-- for next year there are no OB, Peds or Psyc spots available-- so you'd have to do them elsewhere. That's just the problem with some of the smaller hospitals.

Hopefully by my 3rd year those spots will open up. :)

That's a bummer... looks like previous poster will have to go elsewhere.

nvm

Last edited:
pcom has more options for rotations, most hospitals don't want lecom students because the school refuses to pay the hospital.

ummm pcom doesnt pay either. no osteopathic school does. PCOM has more options because they dont want to spread the students too far out and philly has alot of hospital and a ton of medical students. They try to have a few clusters of hospitals in the state because there are students from those areas who would like to go home such as reading, allentown and pitt.

oh then nevermind.. what's WaWa

You have to list two choices. 1st choice is what you absolute want (location or vacation month). 2nd choice (location or vacation month). Most will get their first choice. Some will get both first and second choice.

I was lucky enough to get both where I want and my vacation month!

You can pick a geographical area option that LECOM has a "home base" and rotate through the affiliated hospitals there. LECOM does this because the class sizes are so big that there's no way they would be able to put 500 people at one hospital. So, they punt us out.

I think this is a good thing (hindsight is always 20/20). You will be more well-rounded as a med student, and different hospitals have different patient populations giving you more experience and exposure in the long run. I've talked with friends that are only at one institution for their entire training and they always seem to think we are lucky in the fact that we get to experience more places, because they all have different systems of doing things, and different styles of teaching so we can take from each the things we like develop our own blend.

There are affiliations with University Hospitals/ Case Western and Cleveland Clinic Hospitals in northeast ohio and UPMC hospitals affilitated with Pitt. 2 great med schools to help with your clinical education, I don't think you will find that type of affiliation at any other DO school. Letters of Recommendation from those places aren't going to hurt either in the application process. Just my opinion.

If your from NY, MI, or eastern PA there are sites out there as well. I'm not too familiar with them because I spent the majority of my clinicals between Pitt and UH/CCF.

It doesn't get much better than Pitt or the Cleveland Clinic. Are these rotations easy to get if you don't care about vacations or moving? Wouldn't every LECOMER try to go to Pitt or CC? :confused:

you can pretty much go where you want and do as many types of rotations as you want. the "core" rotations are a little more restricted but everything else is wide open....nationwide and some overseas slots. as long as someone accepts to take you on, that's it. that's the pro. the con is you have to go find and set all this stuff up yourself. can be time consuming and frustrating but overall not bad

I'm a 2nd year and got all my rotations for next year in NYC. Hope that helps.
I am a first year at LECOM. How did you get all of your rotations in NYC? What hospitals? That's where I want to be!

I am a first year at LECOM. How did you get all of your rotations in NYC? What hospitals? That's where I want to be!

I'm going to rotate at Good Samaritan, Brookhaven and St Johns Episcopal. I could've rotated at Long Beach as well but these hospitals were fine. Of the 3 St Johns is in the Rockaways and the other are in LI. I will most likely due my electives in NYC --> St Lukes Roosevelt, Lenox Hill and NYU. PM Me for more info.

It doesn't get much better than Pitt or the Cleveland Clinic. Are these rotations easy to get if you don't care about vacations or moving? Wouldn't every LECOMER try to go to Pitt or CC? :confused:

You cannot rotate at the Main campus of these institutions unless it is an elective you have applied/accepted for during your 4th year. You can rotate at the "affiliates" of these places...which are much smaller places with a lot less acuity.

So basically if I want to move back to Philly after my second year at LECOM, I can assume that I will with pretty high probability?

So basically if I want to move back to Philly after my second year at LECOM, I can assume that I will with pretty high probability?

Yes, if you put down Philly you will almost definitely get Philly, then you will fight it out for spots at hospitals w/the other Philly people in your group. And there's a possibility you will have to do 1-2 months in Erie if you get stuck filling any mandatories (there's a few people in my group who got lucky b/c other people wanted some Erie mandatories).

Yes, if you put down Philly you will almost definitely get Philly, then you will fight it out for spots at hospitals w/the other Philly people in your group. And there's a possibility you will have to do 1-2 months in Erie if you get stuck filling any mandatories (there's a few people in my group who got lucky b/c other people wanted some Erie mandatories).

Cool, thanks

ummm pcom doesnt pay either. no osteopathic school does. PCOM has more options because they dont want to spread the students too far out and philly has alot of hospital and a ton of medical students. They try to have a few clusters of hospitals in the state because there are students from those areas who would like to go home such as reading, allentown and pitt.

From what I heard/read, I thought that LECOM was going to be paying for rotation spots, which was a different strategy than in the past?

-- Reading native=)