Grade Inflation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leumas614

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a school where the average GPA is around a 3.0. I don't think this is because the teachers are lenient on us but because a good portion of the school wants to go into professions like medicine, psychology, or business that require a high GPA. To get an A in my intro bio class you need a 90 or above and 20% of students got that. Is that grade-inflation or highly motivated students and do med schools see that?

Members don't see this ad.

leumas614 said:
I go to a school where the average GPA is around a 3.0. I don't think this is because the teachers are lenient on us but because a good portion of the school wants to go into professions like medicine, psychology, or business that require a high GPA. To get an A in my intro bio class you need a 90 or above and 20% of students got that. Is that grade-inflation or highly motivated students and do med schools see that?

I don't think a mean GPA of 3.0 is indicative of grade inflation at all, assuming that anyone with a cumulative GPA under 2.0 is generally kicked out. I wouldn't call it grade inflation unless the mean GPA was at least a 3.2.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.0 is grade deflation if anything. Most good schools like Duke have average GPAs up above 3.4.

3.4 is really high

at my school, 3.2 gets u a distinction, 3.5 gets u a high distinction

an avg of 3.0 is definitely not grade inflation.

coralfangs said:
3.4 is really high

at my school, 3.2 gets u a distinction, 3.5 gets u a high distinction

wow thats crazy

my school 3.88 gets u magna cum laude (2%)
3.76 summa (4%)
3.65 cum laude (8%)

but only like the top 14% get it

ur school must be really tough

doublehh03 said:
wow thats crazy

3.76 summa (4%)
3.65 cum laude (8%)

3.0 is mad inflation... wow.
I thought C or 2.0 was supposed to be average :thumbdown:

Duke is kinda nuts with the GPAs, I think everyone there goes to grad schoool

doublehh03 said:
wow thats crazy

3.76 summa (4%)
3.65 cum laude (8%)

Grade inflation is so annoying. Whatever happened to averaging to a C? Bad for business, I guess. University gotta get paid!

UNC-or-BUST said:
3.0 is mad inflation... wow.
I thought C or 2.0 was supposed to be average :thumbdown:

Duke is kinda nuts with the GPAs, I think everyone there goes to grad schoool

i think my school avg GPA, for bio majors, is around 3.0 b/c most classes the average grade is a B-, which is a 2.7.

so those high GPAs may be from the other majors

Med_Leviathan said:
3.0 is grade deflation if anything. Most good schools like Duke have average GPAs up above 3.4.

seriously? At the University of Toronto, the average GPA is a 2.7

blowe46 said:
seriously? At the University of Toronto, the average GPA is a 2.7
I cant speak for other schools but at Duke a lot of the science classes have the mean at around C+/B- w/ 1 std dev up being an A-/A depending on how nice the prof is

kevster2001 said:
I cant speak for other schools but at Duke a lot of the science classes have the mean at around C+/B- w/ 1 std dev up being an A-/A depending on how nice the prof is

yea, UCSD is the same. so the average GPA is around 2.7 for science majors.

the non-science majors do have high GPAs though like poli sci, art...

so you can't judge grade inflation on the overall GPA, u gotta look at the department. for bio majors, a 3.5 is high distinction. however, it's not so for the university.

doublehh03 said:
wow thats crazy

3.76 summa (4%)
3.65 cum laude (8%)

uh...correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't it be harder to get summa cum laude then magna cum laude?

NehsNairb said:
uh...correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't it be harder to get summa cum laude then magna cum laude?

Yeah, he messed up because he never took Latin.

I heard a couple years back that the campus-wide average GPA at Stanford undergrad was 3.6 and they were aiming to lower it to 3.4. And they say you can't buy your grades...

My school's average GPA is about a 2.7 throughout the campus... I am kicking myself for going to a large public engineering school... We also don't do the '-/+' so people's GPAs suffer horribly when they get a 90.9%.. (91% is usually an A because the dean wants to increase academic standards).. I'm not here to complain, I studied hard and did well... point is, when you think you have it tough... there's always someone who has it tougher...

People from my university will have a very difficult time getting into medical school, but we sure as hell won't have a difficult time doing well when we get in... (notice how I didn't compare us to anyother type of school whether it be private or LAC) :)