Grade Point Average (GPA) question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christopher Nieva

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My question is regarding the AMCAS (and AACOMAS) GPA calculation process. I understand that the GPA's calculated by AMCAS and AACOMAS is used to compare yourself with others, but is it also used as the GPA determining factor for entry into the school for which you apply to? For example, suppose the minimum GPA requirement for a particular med school is 3.5 and your institutional GPA is a 4.0, but your AMCAS GPA is a 3.4 - which one should I use to determine if I met the GPA requirement?

Another question I have is how med school determines the applicant selection? I understand MCAT, GPA, and extracurriculars are important, but as far as upward trends in ones academics - how does a school see that based on your AMCAS or AACOMAS GPA when all they see is a number at the end of the day? (Of course this is how I understand it)

If anyone can help me better understand how things really "work" during the med school application process - I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) suppose the minimum GPA requirement for a particular med school is 3.5 and your institutional GPA is a 4.0, but your AMCAS GPA is a 3.4 - which one should I use to determine if I met the GPA requirement?

2) I understand MCAT, GPA, and extracurriculars are important, but as far as upward trends in ones academics - how does a school see that based on your AMCAS or AACOMAS GPA when all they see is a number at the end of the day?
1) The AMCAS or AACOMAS GPAs are the calculations by which all applicants applying through each service are judged. TMDSAS is used for most Texas schools (not Baylor).

2) The overall cGPA and science or BCPM GPA for undergrad, postbaccalaureate, and graduate classes are listed. So are the year-by-year GPAs, from which an upward trend can be appreciated. In addition, there is a transcript that lists the names and grades for each class taken, so the course load and course rigor can be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
1) The AMCAS or AACOMAS GPAs are the calculations by which all applicants applying through each service are judged. TMDSAS is used for most Texas schools (not Baylor).

2) The overall cGPA and science or BCPM GPA for undergrad, postbaccalaureate, and graduate classes are listed. So are the year-by-year GPAs, from which an upward trend can be appreciated. In addition, there is a transcript that lists the names and grades for each class taken, so the course load and course rigor can be appreciated.

In other words, the GPA that I need to focus on is the GPA calculations made on AMCAS, AACOMAS, etc.? My institutional cGPA and science GPA are negligible?

Members don't see this ad :)
In other words, the GPA that I need to focus on is the GPA calculations made on AMCAS, AACOMAS, etc.? My institutional cGPA and science GPA are negligible?
AMCAS uses your overall GPA from all undergraduate institutions. So use that to determine how competitive you are for MD schools.

On a side note, Christopher if that is your real picture, I would removed that to protect your identity.

AMCAS uses your overall GPA from all undergraduate institutions. So use that to determine how competitive you are for MD schools.

On a side note, Christopher if that is your real picture, I would removed that to protect your identity.

Thank you for your clarification. I'm actually logged on through my Facebook account. The picture was automatically uploaded. I will be removing it as soon as I finish. Thank you!

1) In other words, the GPA that I need to focus on is the GPA calculations made on AMCAS, AACOMAS, etc.?
2) My institutional cGPA and science GPA are negligible?
1) Yes. For example, if your school gives you extra credit for earning an A+, that boost will be removed by the AMCAS or AACOMAS calculation.
2) They will not be visible anywhere on the application.