Grade Replacement: Semester to Semester / Quarter to Quarter

nico vazquez

7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I guess I just wasted 2 years worth of 4.0 GPA repeats. My original courses were taken in the quarter system but since then the university switched to semesters. I took all of those repeats under the semester system!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

ksmajmudar

7+ Year Member
May 31, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I guess I just wasted 2 years worth of 4.0 GPA repeats. My original courses were taken in the quarter system but since then the university switched to semesters. I took all of those repeats under the semester system!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
If you retook at the same university it should be okay.

But you really should verify these things with AACOMAS. Don't take anything for granted - pick up the phone and call them today.

About the Ads

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Spam post above me? Anyway, I wonder if this applies if you do took the whole sequence. Like a full year of chem quarters for a fulll year of chem semesters. Grabbing at strings for the ones this hurts the most.

BrandonX

5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I will call a rep tomorrow but for now :cry:

Last edited:

nico vazquez

7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I just called AACOMAS and was told that quarter to semester replacement would work as long as unit conversion is equal or greater. however a 3 quarter sequence could not be completely replaced with a two semester sequence even if the semester sequence is more units. In this case only two quarter classes would be replaced. TriagePreMed thanks for encouraging us to call...also please keep us informed if you get more info I really appreciate all of your posts.

Mar 3, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I was talking to an AACOM representative today. She told me that if you took the original class in the semester system, you must retake it in the semester system for equal or more units. If you retake quarter system, it must be retaken in the quarter system. There's no Semester to Quarter or Quarter to Semester that is valid.
I don't think this is correct. I messaged AACOMAS a few months back regarding this issue. My undergrad. school was on the quarter system, and I'm currently retaking courses at a community college which is on the semester system.

What they told me was that retaking courses must be on a 1 to 1 ratio, as in, you can only replace the grade for one class by retaking one class. As far as retaking at a semester system to replace a previous quarter system course, they said to convert the quarter hours of the original course to semester hours. The semester hours of the repeated course must be equal to or exceed the converted semester credit hours of the original course. I'm really hoping that the person you spoke to was misinformed. I still have the message I received as record in case it's needed haha.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that they did tell me they may need to "split" the course I repeated. I wasn't sure what that meant, but I guess they were referring to what nico vasquez mentioned.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
my science gpa is 3.05 but I have already graduated. If I want to apply to DO school should I retake pre-req classes I got C's in. Or just take a bunch of upper-div classes and get A's to show I am dedicated

DrWily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
my science gpa is 3.05 but I have already graduated. If I want to apply to DO school should I retake pre-req classes I got C's in. Or just take a bunch of upper-div classes and get A's to show I am dedicated
Little bit of both.

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just called AACOMAS and was told that quarter to semester replacement would work as long as unit conversion is equal or greater. however a 3 quarter sequence could not be completely replaced with a two semester sequence even if the semester sequence is more units. In this case only two quarter classes would be replaced. TriagePreMed thanks for encouraging us to call...also please keep us informed if you get more info I really appreciate all of your posts.
that is some good news. thanks for calling. it would suck for a lot of people getting hosed, but it looks like it isn't a straight black and white answer.

Aug 8, 2011
Status
Medical Student
From my experience this is what happened to my AACOMAS app. I took all of my prereqs as an undergrad in the quarter system. I then re-took some of these classes as post bacc under the semester system. When I filled out my app I wrote in the replacement courses and AACOMAS let those semester classes replace the quarter (must be b/c the semester are longer). But then when reported to the schools some schools showed me deficient in Chemistry by like .8 credit hours. I had to individually talk to those schools and say that while it shows the deficiency b/c Chem I was under qtr and Chem II was under semester...I actually took Chem II twice so I really had more than the required hours. AACOMAS just figures out your grade replacement and uses those classes to report on the meeting the prereq page of the app they send to the schools...but the schools will look at all your classes if you ask them to in order to count every class taken as meeting hours towards prereqs. So I wouldn't be too worried. It is a bit fuzzy with things like my Bio sequence under qtrs was 3 classes and I can only replace 2 of them with a Bio sequence of 2 semesters.

physcigirl27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Ok I just freaked out reading the first post but i feel better.

My problem is I got a C- in my 2nd gen chem class and a C in the respective lab. At my school those are 2 different grades for 2 different classes and both were taken at my UG which followed the quarter system. At the school I'm retaking that class in, the gen chem lab and lecture part are combined, it's a semester school...does anyone know how the grade would be calculated? Will they just replace my lecture grade and not lab (I don't mind i just really need the lecture one changed)?

Mar 3, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok I just freaked out reading the first post but i feel better.

My problem is I got a C- in my 2nd gen chem class and a C in the respective lab. At my school those are 2 different grades for 2 different classes and both were taken at my UG which followed the quarter system. At the school I'm retaking that class in, the gen chem lab and lecture part are combined, it's a semester school...does anyone know how the grade would be calculated? Will they just replace my lecture grade and not lab (I don't mind i just really need the lecture one changed)?
Your retakes can only replace previous classes on a 1 to 1 ratio. I would think that this means that you can replace the grade for the lecture, but not for the lab. This is assuming that the number of units for the retake class is either equal to or greater than the number of units for the original class.

I

itsallgood19

Compared to MD, would it be fair to say that DO schools are more unforgiving (less harsh) to see W's because they have grade replacement in the first place?

I am just a little worried because I had to drop Gen Chem II due to a bad experience with a prof., but then i retook it at the same institution and winded up getting a B in it. How will this look, better than failing and retaking? will they care less that I even had to drop in the first place because they already have the grade replacement system?

DrWily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Compared to MD, would it be fair to say that DO schools are more unforgiving (less harsh) to see W's because they have grade replacement in the first place?

I am just a little worried because I had to drop Gen Chem II due to a bad experience with a prof., but then i retook it at the same institution and winded up getting a B in it. How will this look, better than failing and retaking? will they care less that I even had to drop in the first place because they already have the grade replacement system?
Most likely they will see that you retook it, got a B, and move on. Probably won't care if you have a W or an F, as long as you retook it.

Jun 26, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in a similar situation. I started at a semester school, took chem 2 ( 4 semester hours) and got a C. I then transferred to a quarter school and had to take gen chem 2 (5 quarter hours) again, this time getting a B-. I then transferred back to a different semester school. So would the class at the quarter school be greater or less when converted to semester hours?
And just out of curiosity, if you end up doing worse on a retake, they take the better grade correct?

Feb 20, 2012
Status
I just had to attend a school where all classes were worth 6 qtr hours regaurdless of whether they had a lab or whether they were science or english classes. Total bogus and is completely screwing my AACOMAS over...

About the Ads