Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Gradeless Medschools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by HippocratesX, Mar 24, 2002.

1. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member

Does anyone know what different grading systems medical schools use besides the regular A,B,C,D,F? Is it just pass/fail, or...are there honors, satisfactory, fair, etc grades too? Most importantly, how can I find out which medical schools do NOT use the regular letter grading system without looking for the information within each school's web site??? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanx! By the way, this is my first post and I really wish I had found this site while an undergrad!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you can fathom a grading scale, chances are one of the med schools out there uses it. Some use standard ABCDF, some are purely pass/fail (Stanford and Yale are two examples), some are pass/fail in the first two years and then graded or honors/p/f in the 3rd and 4th years (ie UCSF), some schools are honors/pass/fail (Case Western I believe), some schools are honors, high pass, pass, low pass, fail (the 'wordy' equivalent of abcdf).

I think if you look in the MSAR, you'll find the grading system of each individual school there.

4. Resident Alien

Just wanted to correct Wahoo....Case Western is P/F the 1st 2 yrs....H/P/F in the clinicals.

5. b-real

b-real What, me worry?

Attending Physician
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Yale System makes the first two years completely gradeless and rankless.

6. bobcat

bobcat Member

Yale, I believe, is P/F the first two years and then H/HP/P/F the final two years.