1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Grades And Top Tier Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kussaff87, May 15, 2007.

1. kussaff87

kussaff87 New Member
    10+ Year Member

Guys I have had the worst year ever. Sophomore my GPA went to shi***. I took too manny difficult courses and my GPA has fallen to a 2.98.I know that this is due to lack of planning, and I am ready to plan such that GPA comes first. I am depressed and dont know what to do. I want to attend a top tier school yet finishing sophomore year with a 2.98 and C's I dont think I have a chance or even if I can still be pre med. please feel free to comment

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GAdoc

GAdoc GAdoc
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Choosing to become a doctor is a big decision that shouldn't be taken lightly. However, if you have put the proper time and consideration into that decision, then I would say backing out on it is also something that shouldn't be taken lightly. First and foremost, if you are determined to do something, do it. Find a way. There are other options out there.

If you are only a rising Junior, you still have time. Focus on balancing your course-load to finish strong. If you have time during the next two years or over the next two summers, try retaking the classes you tanked. Even if AMCAS reports all grades, it will still pull your BCMP and overall GPA up. It will also show schools where you apply that you have initiative.

If you find yourself still lacking when you prepare your application, you can always consider a masters or post-bacc.

Shore up your GPA by having a stellar MCAT, great ECs, great letters of recommendation, etc.

If you still find yourself lacking, decide whether attending a top tier school is more important to you than becoming a doctor. If you want it bad enough, keep all options on the table. Carribean med schools, osteopathic schools, lower tier US allopathic schools, etc. etc.

I graduated from a small, private university in Central Georgia. My undergrad degree was in biomedical engineering. My overall GPA was 3.56. I took the MCAT three times: 24, 22, 27. I had lots of volunteer experience in a medical setting and had great letters of recommendation. But, that is still a pretty weak app. Over my three application cycles to US allopathic schools, I also applied to Caribbean Schools and DO schools. I was immediately accepted to St. George and Ross (in the Carribean) and PCOM (DO school). But, ultimately I wanted to be a US M.D. My perseverance paid off and I was accepted to Mercer School of Medicine.

Hang in there...sorry to be so long-winded.

4. YourGoldTeeth

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First thing, a 'top-tier school' for medical school doesn't really have much meaning. People get it in their mind that the best doctors all went to Harvard or Yale, but it just isn't the case. These schools tend to attract people with higher GPA and MCAT, but the truth is that if you do well at ANY medical school, you can get a residency in ANY field.

About your GPA: There are many doctors that got a few bad grades. The key is improvement. If it is really something you want, work hard and don't freak out about it. Getting great grades in your next two years could bring you up past a 3.5, which, with a good MCAT, should get you in somewhere. And that is what matters.

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    With a 2.98 you need to figure out how to right this ship to get into ANY med school (half of all applicants won't). Focus on "top tier" is unproductive. Figure out what you are doing wrong, fix it, and move on. Many folks with top grades don't get into what you probably think are the top tier schools. Doesn't really matter because you can still get the residency you want if you get into med school and do well from then on. If you are taking the position of Harvard/Hopkins or bust, though, you are probably destined for failure (or are trolling).

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Even after undergrad. Half the doctors you meet will have been in the bottom half of their med school class. Possibly your own doctor. Food for thought.

7. postbacker

postbacker Membership Revoked
    Removed

Non-Student
    OP needs to read the MSAR to understand how deep the hole is with a sub 3.0 GPA...pretty sobering statistics.