Grades-Possible to go from a C to an A/A- ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkswan

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right now I'm a sophomore in college. I'm in Organic Chemistry I with a C. I started out rough because on the first test, I knew the material but bombed it due to running out of time. I managed to do ok on the second test that I got back last week. Right now, my average is at a C, and we have one more test worth a 100 points and a final exam worth 200 points. My question is if it's possible to pull a C to an A or A- in a premed course? Has anyone here ever had that experience and can offer tips? I honestly cannot afford to settle with B's this semester because I already had many B's (and a couple C's and a D) my freshman year.

Members don't see this ad.

So right now I'm a sophomore in college. I'm in Organic Chemistry I with a C. I started out rough because on the first test, I knew the material but bombed it due to running out of time. I managed to do ok on the second test that I got back last week. Right now, my average is at a C, and we have one more test worth a 100 points and a final exam worth 200 points. My question is if it's possible to pull a C to an A or A- in a premed course? Has anyone here ever had that experience and can offer tips? I honestly cannot afford to settle with B's this semester because I already had many B's (and a couple C's and a D) my freshman year.
How many total point for the class? Are there 3 exams and one final worth total of 500?

If total is 500 then even theoretically you cannot have A- in this class anymore. Unless one exam gets dropped or something.

If you have taken 2 exams worth 100pts each, then your earned points are about 145 so far. Even if you score perfect on next exam and the final - you will earn total of 445 points out of 500. That will be about 88% or B+.

It also depends on professors curve in the class.

Practically, if you have averaged a C in 2 exams your chances of getting A's on future exams are low.

Aim for solid B at least

How many total point for the class? Are there 3 exams and one final worth total of 500?

If total is 500 then even theoretically you cannot have A- in this class anymore. Unless one exam gets dropped or something.

If you have taken 2 exams worth 100pts each, then your earned points are about 145 so far. Even if you score perfect on next exam and the final - you will earn total of 445 points out of 500. That will be about 88% or B+.

It also depends on professors curve in the class.

Practically, if you have averaged a C in 2 exams your chances of getting A's on future exams are low.

Aim for solid B at least

Yes, it is worth 500 points. And our prof does curve. He did say that last year, the cutoff for an A- was around 88%. Also, forgot to mention but on the last exam I got a 70/100 while the class average was in the 60s. I'll need to check with him on whether that's a C, C+ or in the low B's. And I have heard (from him and other students) that he pays attention to hard work and progress and can assign students a letter grade that may not necessarily reflect the exact numerical grade. Am definitely going to aim for a higher grade in the next test and final to prove an improvement. Thanks for your reply!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is worth 500 points. And our prof does curve. He did say that last year, the cutoff for an A- was around 88%. Also, forgot to mention but on the last exam I got a 70/100 while the class average was in the 60s. I'll need to check with him on whether that's a C, C+ or in the low B's. And I have heard (from him and other students) that he pays attention to hard work and progress and can assign students a letter grade that may not necessarily reflect the exact numerical grade. Am definitely going to aim for a higher grade in the next test and final to prove an improvement. Thanks for your reply!!
So, how many total points have you gained so far? around 120?

Thanks

The final will consist of about 2/3 of your first 2 exams for which you have received C average. What it means is that not only from this point you have to study hard, but you have to study hard from the beginning.

So, how many total points have you gained so far? around 120?

Thanks

Forgot to mention that we also have 10 ten point quizzes and 10 five point weekend homeworks that add on to our average. I have 109 as far as tests are concerned. Need to go back to add up my homework points but my quizzes are around 47 (possibly more-think I left out a couple as I don't have them on me atm). I've done a lot better on quizzes. On tests, it's mostly been speed and careless mistakes thatve screwed me over.

Yes, a couple things can happen.

1. Many of these classes have a small curve. If you end with 86%, and the professor does a 4% curve for the class. You'll get an A-.

2. If you show your professor a substantial amount of improvement, and you end up with a B+, he may personally put you up to an A-, for example.

Can you traditionally get from a "C" average all the way up to an "A-" without some type of curve at this point, its unlikely, but if you nailed the 200 point final with say, 195/200, that could do wonders.

I scored 193-197/200 on my orgo I final a few years ago. Its definitely possible.

I dunno why you pre-meds here struggle with this class, orgo was by far the most fun!

Yes, a couple things can happen.

1. Many of these classes have a small curve. If you end with 86%, and the professor does a 4% curve for the class. You'll get an A-.

2. If you show your professor a substantial amount of improvement, and you end up with a B+, he may personally put you up to an A-, for example.

Can you traditionally get from a "C" average all the way up to an "A-" without some type of curve at this point, its unlikely, but if you nailed the 200 point final with say, 195/200, that could do wonders.

I scored 193-197/200 on my orgo I final a few years ago. Its definitely possible.

I dunno why you pre-meds here struggle with this class, orgo was by far the most fun!
of course it is possible to score 195 on the final.

If you get 109/200 of the first 2 midterms, how can you earn 195/200 on the final?

109/200 for first 2 midterms is an F. meaning that student struggles for the first 7-10 chapters already.

I highly doubt that on final you can do 195/200 in this case.

let's be realistic. Theoretically you can, but practically you cant.

OP, aim for an A-, but be ready to have a B

of course it is possible to score 195 on the final.

If you get 109/200 of the first 2 midterms, how can you earn 195/200 on the final?

109/200 for first 2 midterms is an F. meaning that student struggles for the first 7-10 chapters already.

I highly doubt that on final you can do 195/200 in this case.

let's be realistic. Theoretically you can, but practically you cant.

OP, aim for an A-, but be ready to have a B

While I agree with you that it is highly unlikely, its very important to still try your hardest because you never know what could swing your way if you stay optimistic and work hard.

Chances are OP may walk away with a B, but I did teach a few Uni courses, mostly labs. However, I graded thousands of exams with professors for their lectures, and many of them do curve orgo 1, and some give students showing improvements a few more points at the end of the semester.

Theres no reason not to try your absolute hardest.

While I agree with you that it is highly unlikely, its very important to still try your hardest because you never know what could swing your way if you stay optimistic and work hard.

Chances are OP may walk away with a B, but I did teach a few Uni courses, mostly labs. However, I graded thousands of exams with professors for their lectures, and many of them do curve orgo 1, and some give students showing improvements a few more points at the end of the semester.

Theres no reason not to try your absolute hardest.
I agree. Definitely OP has to try their best and study hard. Anything is possible.

I am sure there is a curve since OP has 109 in 2 exams has C so far. Definitely there is a curve.

Final will have 2/3 of the content that OP struggled with already. What I pointed out is that not only from this point forward OP had to study hard, but also from where they have started in the beginning of the semester.

I agree. Definitely OP has to try their best and study hard. Anything is possible.

I am sure there is a curve since OP has 109 in 2 exams has C so far. Definitely there is a curve.

Final will have 2/3 of the content that OP struggled with already. What I pointed out is that not only from this point forward OP had to study hard, but also from where they have started in the beginning of the semester.

Yes I know what you mean. It is very rare to see a student struggle in the beginning and then absolute dominate in the second half of the semester.

However when it does happen, the prof. is much more likely to increase borderline grades for the student. If he works tremendously hard from this point forward, and ends with a 89%, then the prof. may see his improvements and give him a 90%.

That alone would be a 3.3 to 3.7 GPA jump.