grades post-accept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lvoen Bgilisis

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of grades will get your acceptance rescinded? Would a C+ in a physics lab (since it is a prereq) do you in? Or would I be straight if I just maintained an overall B to B+ average?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of grades will get your acceptance rescinded? Would a C+ in a physics lab (since it is a prereq) do you in? Or would I be straight if I just maintained an overall B to B+ average?

Your contract with the school should stipulate this. Usually it's C or better in all courses.

And puh-le-le-le-eese search the forum before asking.

One school never even mentioned it and the other school stated "you acceptance reamins contingent upon continued academic performance at your current level"

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds very similar to what my school said. I have yet to see any school give an actual cut off.

Im looking at a potential C in biophysical chem, and am slightly worried. I think that at WORST they could just put you on academic probation your first semester, I doubt they would de-accept you. Create a free .hotmail.com email address and pose a hypothetical question and gauge there responce.

As long as youre not getting D's (that will take your acceptance away at most schools from what their guidlines state) or straight C's you should be pretty straight. Ha, they might even let you go with all C's, but don't test that though...one or two will just be looked over.

Besides, if anyone ever asks, you can just say you were burned out, who can blame you after the app process?

If it makes you feel any better, I got my first C's this year (fall quarter of senior year) and UCSF made me update my grades on my interview day (i.e. BEFORE they made their final decision), at which point I was like "shieeet, that's it, I have no chance"... and they still accepted me. Adcoms understand!! Since you're post-accept, a C+ is NOT something to be worried about, trust me!!!

agreed-- I got my first C fall semester (darn specific MCB cell bio class) simply because I didn't care to go to class too often. Adcoms understand and never once have I been asked about it in an interview, even after I updated schools.

just don't make it too much of a habit :)

agreed-- I got my first C fall semester (darn specific MCB cell bio class) simply because I didn't care to go to class too often. Adcoms understand and never once have I been asked about it in an interview, even after I updated schools.

just don't make it too much of a habit :)

Probably b/c they didn't even read the update letter! I sent one and from what I gathered in my interviews it didn't seem like any of my interviewers were aware of it.

If it makes you feel any better, I got my first C's this year (fall quarter of senior year) and UCSF made me update my grades on my interview day (i.e. BEFORE they made their final decision), at which point I was like "shieeet, that's it, I have no chance"... and they still accepted me. Adcoms understand!! Since you're post-accept, a C+ is NOT something to be worried about, trust me!!!

It's going to depend on the school, though. Duke requires a written explanation of any grades of C+ or lower. They're not going to rescind an acceptance because of one C+, but I'd hate to have to write that letter.

OP, I'm 99% sure Aerith is right, but you really should check with the individual school.

Probably b/c they didn't even read the update letter! I sent one and from what I gathered in my interviews it didn't seem like any of my interviewers were aware of it.

this is true, but from what I understand it doesn't seem like the update letters get read often. I think they (at best) get read once for content, but the fact that you sent an update letter and made an actual effort in the application process to go to their school is probably more important than the letter itself (however if you save 200 babies from an epidemic in a third world country, while hiking in and out 20 miles both ways uphill in the snow...maybe that'll catch their attension):p

nice, I think my explanation letter would be somewhere along the lines of
"P-chem sucks"

Who wouldn't understand that! I think they would take the class into consideration as well. Getting a C in your undergrad anatomy class the semester before med school is probably viewed differently than a C in your "not even remotly medicaly related" class