Grades Questions[Freshman]

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by QDS95, 10.28.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. QDS95

QDS95

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    So as the title states, I'm a freshman. At the University of Cincinnati if anyone is interested. I came to an epiphany over the summer of my senior year in high school and after multiple shadowing opportunities decided physical therapy was what I wanted to do. I have always been the kind of person who freaks out about grades. In high school I thought I was going to do Criminal Justice so the only science related class I took was Honors Chemistry. No anatomy, physics, biology, or anything of that nature. Now that I am almost finished with my first semester at UC taking Chemistry, Chem Lab, Anatomy and Physiology, A&P Lab, and Intro to Psychology, I can easily say this is difficult for me. I know for sure I will get an A in Intro to Psychology. I also believe I will get an A in A&P, because Anatomy is the most interesting thing to me. I would like to base my career off of it in some way if physical therapy somehow does not work for me. Anyways, Chemistry is very hard for me. I haven't had any chem since Sophomore year of high school and I think I will probably end up with a B- or C. I know there are threads out there about grades and whatnot, but I don't know much since I am only a Freshman. I want more than anything to get accepted to a physical therapy school. Honestly, money is not an issue for me and I can apply out of state as well. Even though it is only freshman year I am nervous that I will not be able to maintain the grades, because people are telling me that anything under a 3.5 GPA will put you in a bad spot. I think I can easily maintain an overall GPA of 3.5 due to easy courses. But the science courses are very difficult. I honestly think physics and chemistry I will get C's in, and it will ruin my chances at PT school. So what are "average" stats of someone who can get accepted into PT school. For example, stats of a person who is not necessarily stressed about acceptance because they feel they will at least get accepted into one program. I don't really know much about GRE scores, GPA, If observation hours have a big impact, or anything really. I want some kind of career in health. I love people, sports, medicine, and Human Anatomy as a whole. That is why I believe Sports Physical Therapy would be a good match for me. My Dad is a doctor, and my mom is a nurse. So you could say It's in my blood. I am considering med school but since I failed to realize my love for Anatomy and medicine earlier, my base knowledge regarding sciences is relatively weak. Basically, I would like to know what to "shoot for" in GPA and other aspects, and also the lowest possible stats to have a decent chance of acceptance to a PT program(purely to give me some incentive and not be so worried all the time). Sorry for the long novel I wrote!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Watson27

Watson27

Pre-Physical Therapy
    I'm a Bearcat :) Started a convo with you so we don't bore everyone with the specifics of UC. I know what physics and chem are like there.

But I'm sure they can give you great advice too!

4. 041892

041892 2+ Year Member

Bearcat here too!! So here is the advice I can give you; if at all possible, take those harder science classes during the summer separately. I took biology and chemistry in the summer at UC and ended up with one A- and the rest As in those classes because I was able to focus on them. I was also an athlete for UC so I ran into some serious time crunching during the year though too. I applied to a few PT programs last year without having retaken my chemistry classes (I got Cs the first time around) and did not get in anywhere, even with having just under a 3.5 overall GPA and no other Cs on my transcript. Not trying to scare you, just want to share my experience. After retaking those chemistry classes and improving my application in other small ways, I have 2 interviews to programs so far. So, as far as minimum GPA I would shoot for a 3.6 to be comfortable. I would also apply to a LOT of programs if money is not an issue. If you have any other questions about UC or the program there let me know! Good luck!

5. QDS95

QDS95

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    That is a bit scary knowing a 3.5 is still not good enough to feel comfortable. PT is honestly all I want to do. Med School could be an option but that would add 10x the stress to my life as it is. What programs did you apply for? What were your extra-curriculars, and how else did you improve your application? Do you think having the option to apply anywhere out of state will provide a better chance of acceptance somewhere? Also, I will most likely have to retake Chem I, do you have any professor suggestions?

6. DesertPT

DesertPT ` 2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    It's only your first semester, just keep working hard and you'll be fine. You don't have to have all the pt pre-reqs done until you graduate (as long as only 1 or 2 is outstanding when you apply). Don't overcram your schedule if you are not quite adjusted to college. Worst case scenario is that you get a C in this chem class, retake it next semester or during the summer, and move on. You'll be able to do well in the rest of your chem and physics (which are usually the toughest pre-reqs for people) now that you are more aware of what college is like for you. Just keep your grades up and try to enjoy the rest of your freshman year, you've got a way to go yet. :)

7. 041892

041892 2+ Year Member

Don't be scared, there are definitely schools out there that will accept 3.5 GPAs, but I think a mistake I made the first time around was only applying to a handful of schools that already had higher standards (first time around I applied to UC, Dayton, OU, Indy, UNC and Elon). I got waitlisted to 4 of those schools so my first time around it seemed like I was right on the bubble and if I had to guess why, it would be because of that lower science GPA and my Cs in chemistry. I was involved in all sorts of things on campus (my most recent stats are all on the GPA sticky a few pages back if you want to check them out and compare) but I recently have been volunteering for an aquatic therapy class that I am in love with and was able to write about a lot in my essay. I retook those chemistry classes, and got a 4.0 my entire senior year along with being inducted into the women's honorary society on campus (like the girl form of sigma sigma ;)), and got basic life support certified.
    As far as if applying out of state helps, I think it helps more to apply to private schools. Though these schools are more expensive, this usually results in people's first choice being the cheaper public schools, which frees up spots for the people who may have average applications. Do some research and look into programs average acceptance stats and compare to your own farther down the line. And apply to a good number of programs as back ups, it only takes one acceptance to follow our dreams!
    I can tell you for chemistry classes at UC, in my personal opinion I would avoid Sprague at all costs. I just was never able to absorb anything that man said. I took Vonderheide and Bridner (I'm sure those are not spelled right) and loved both of them. Vonderheide even wrote me a recommendation.
    This is a long answer so if theres anything I missed let me know. No worries though, you are only a freshmen, just take your classes seriously and get involved and you'll be good to go!

8. QDS95

QDS95

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Whew! I feel better already. I think I will just see how my first year goes and make sure to do some research on schools. Thank you! Also, could you link me to the page with stats? You mentioned there was a page for GPA. I am relatively new to this forums thing so I am not sure how to navigate my way to the best threads for information. Anyways, Thanks again!

9. DesertPT

DesertPT ` 2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    The page with stats is in a sticky at the top of this forum.

About the ads