Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc3094

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the last set of grades that med schools look at? I was planning on taking summer courses in order to improve my GPA for this coming cycle of applications. However, I heard that med schools only look at your Spring grades. Is that true? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your AMCAS GPA will only include classes that you've completed by the time you submit your app.

You can take summer classes, but those grades won't be apart of your official app if you submit in June. You will have to update school individually with your grades.

You could wait to submit until you are done with your summer class, but that would make you too late IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Your AMCAS GPA will only include classes that you've completed by the time you submit your app.

You can take summer classes, but those grades won't be apart of your official app if you submit in June. You will have to update school individually with your grades.

You could wait to submit until you are done with your summer class, but that would make you too late IMO.

Thanks Komorebi2! When do you personally think is the absolute latest to submit the AMCAS application? I'm not too knowledgeable in deadlines and how the application process really works, thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am no authority, but the prevailing opinion here on SDN is that you want to submit your primary app by the middle or end of June at the latest. You then want to complete your secondaries very shortly after receiving them. Prewriting your responses may help with this. Ideally, you want to be complete at most/all of your schools by the end of July or early August (or even sooner!).

I think @sunflower18 is a great example of how having a strong application and submitting early can really help your chances (http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=26986). She submitted her primary app the first day AMCAS opened and was complete at most of her schools by early/mid-July. And she received 17 interview invites!! (As an aside, she has a wonderful MDApps page and thoughtful posts here on SDN. If you don't already follow her, I suggest you do! She offers great insight into the application process and I find her story inspiring!)

If you think your GPA really needs a boost, consider waiting out this cycle. Better to apply once with an awesome app!

Also worth considering, how much can one or two summer classes really impact your GPA? If your GPA is decent and the rest of your app is strong, those one or two extra classes probably won't help you out too much (IMO). But better to ask and AdCom, like @gyngyn, about that, though. She'd be able to give you a better sense of how your situation may come across to your schools' admissions teams.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much once again! Good luck to you too!!

I am no authority, but the prevailing opinion here on SDN is that you want to submit your primary app by the middle or end of June at the latest. You then want to complete your secondaries very shortly after receiving them. Prewriting your responses may help with this. Ideally, you want to be complete at most/all of your schools by the end of July or early August (or even sooner!).

I think @sunflower18 is a great example of how having a strong application and submitting early can really help your chances (http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=26986). She submitted her primary app the first day AMCAS opened and was complete at most of her schools by early/mid-July. And she received 17 interview invites!! (As an aside, she has a wonderful MDApps page and thoughtful posts here on SDN. If you don't already follow her, I suggest you do! She offers great insight into the application process and I find her story inspiring!)

If you think your GPA really needs a boost, consider waiting out this cycle. Better to apply once with an awesome app!

Also worth considering, how much can one or two summer classes really impact your GPA? If your GPA is decent and the rest of your app is strong, those one or two extra classes probably won't help you out too much (IMO). But better to ask and AdCom, like @gyngyn, about that, though. She'd be able to give you a better sense of how your situation may come across to your schools' admissions teams.

Best of luck!

Well wow! Thanks for the shoutout! That's so kind of you!! I'm glad you've found my MDApps and posts helpful :)

To the OP: submitting as soon as possible definitely helps! And I absolutely agree, make your app as strong as possible the first time, no matter what it takes. Best of luck!!!

Reactions: 1 users
At my school we look at all of them. Some schools state that they give more weight to the last 2-3 years (like U UT). But the last semester? I don't think so.

Rising trends are always favored.

What are the last set of grades that med schools look at? I was planning on taking summer courses in order to improve my GPA for this coming cycle of applications. However, I heard that med schools only look at your Spring grades. Is that true? Thanks!