grades..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C+ in calc I. How will the med schools look at it when i apply?

Members don't see this ad.

you're f*cked. don't even apply to md school. i've heard pa school takes a lot folks with a c+ in calc i.

Originally posted by NE_Cornhusker1
you're f*cked. don't even apply to md school. i've heard pa school takes a lot folks with a c+ in calc i.

:laugh: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
can you retake it?...its not a good grade but it probably wont make or break ur admission to med school

retaking over the summer?

show improvement and no one will care.

my 3.1 science gpa from freshman year did not stop plenty of "top" schools from interviewing me.

depends what your overall science grades are.

I have an A- in Orgo, and B+ in Bio, but a C+ in calc i, and B+ is another class from fresh yr first semester. I should have done well in the easiest course...

so how does retaking a course work?

::hangs head in abject shame::

Um, I got a C+ in Calc I. That was after I had already taken AP Calc. I got a 4.0 in the rest of my science and math classes, though, and not a single person -- not my pre-med committee, not people I saw for advice interviews, not adcoms -- ever said a single word about it.

Oh, wait -- one person did. My chem professor, who wrote me a really great rec, made fun of me for about 20 minutes.

So no, I don't think that a crappy calc grade on its own will make any difference at all.

oh ok. I see.
And where did you apply and got accepted?

I got an interview everywhere I applied and I'm in at a top 20. PM me if you want more details.

so what? do you use calculus in medicine? how did the C+ in calc affect your physics grades, and then your chem grades, and then your bio grades (the answer should be slim to none -- one c plus doesn't destroy the rest of your knowledge base. just come up with a good explanation that it doesnt represent your quality as a doctor).

theres a grip of us that have plenty of Cs and still get interviews and get accepted. its just one C.
Do what you feel like to make yourself feel better.
if you are gonna be ok with it on your 'script then forget about it...if not then retake it over the summer.

you are not really in a bad situation at all.

dont let it bring you down.

Dude, you are completely screwed. Don't even bother applying to medical school. One of my friends is the director of admissions at a medical school in the US, and he told me that AdComs have a special ritual for people who earn C's in calculus. First, the members of the AdCom gather around the application and pee all over it. Then they pour a mixture of gasoline and chicken blood on the app, while they chant: "Praise thee, O god of admissions. We implore thee to save us from such offal. Save us, O Almighty! Deliver us from shame!" Then they clap in unison and twirl around like polka dancers. At the end of the ritual, they throw the application onto a burning pyre of discarded apps.