+/- grading system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if med schools understadn that students at schools that have +/- systems are at a disadvantaged with the gpa? like an A- at my school would be at an A at a school that does traditional grading system, and so my gpa is lowered because i receive a 3.7 instead of a 4.0. i know that a B+ helps out cause you get a 3.3 instead of a B at a trad. grading system school, but im just wondering as far as overall. A-'s can hurt ones gpa and make them less competitive for some schools, and if schools realize that students must get like a 93 average to get the A instead of a 90 to get the A (I know that it depends on teh curve adn whatever, but im saying if there is no curve)?

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder about this issue too having gone to an undergrad school that had +/- and now doing post-bac at a school without it. In a way I liked the +/- system better because I find here that many people end up with a B and it would be nice to have that B+ option when you work your butt off and get the same grade as 1/3 of the class. Then again, it is nice to have to only get a 90 to get a solid A. I would think that the schools probably figure that it pretty much evens out over the long run. Then again, who know. Probably, if you got all A-'s it wouldn't hurt you that much cuz you'd still have a 3.7+ GPA which would be above the average for most schools. One of my best friends went to a university that only gave +'s, and no -'s so it really helped out in the GPA department. :D

I dont think med schools really take that into account. They MIGHT consider it as a very minor factor in calculating GPA adjustments (based on your undergrad school, major, and race) but not as much a s you seem to hope for.

Dont worry, as azpremed says its still 3.7+. And the MCAT can disqualify many high gpas, or qualify many lower gpas