Grading Systems--How much to they matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've performed a search already on my topic, but I wasn't able to find anything of substance :( So, I'm turning to all of you for your infinite wisdom :D

Should it matter whether or not a medical school's grading system is based on a grade-based system (ex: A,B,C,D,F) or an honors/high pass/pass/fail system??? Would the grading system have any affect on how you study for your classes? Would it have any bearing on how you will secure a competitive residency match?

Please forgive me if my question is not stated as clearly as it could be :D

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP

Anyone? Alrighty, maybe I'll send out some PMs :p

docjolly said:
Hi All,

I've performed a search already on my topic, but I wasn't able to find anything of substance :( So, I'm turning to all of you for your infinite wisdom :D

Should it matter whether or not a medical school's grading system is based on a grade-based system (ex: A,B,C,D,F) or an honors/high pass/pass/fail system??? Would the grading system have any affect on how you study for your classes? Would it have any bearing on how you will secure a competitive residency match?

Please forgive me if my question is not stated as clearly as it could be :D
Those are the same thing. The only difference you will see is between a true pass/fail and h/hp/p/f (this is A/B/C/D). Some have intermediate versions (h/p/f) and vary them between years. I go to a school where 1st year is p/f, second is h/p/f, and 3rd, 4th are h/hp/p/f. I like it so far, but then again, I don't know any different

Members don't see this ad :)
patzan said:
Those are the same thing. The only difference you will see is between a true pass/fail and h/hp/p/f (this is A/B/C/D). Some have intermediate versions (h/p/f) and vary them between years. I go to a school where 1st year is p/f, second is h/p/f, and 3rd, 4th are h/hp/p/f. I like it so far, but then again, I don't know any different

patzan, thank you for your response :thumbup:

Grading scale for the 1st 2 years really doesn't matter that much simple because the grades in the 1st 2 years don't matter that much. What matter's the most for mathcing is board scores and evaluations in clinical years. The grading system of a school really only matters for personal preference. I go to and A,B,C,D,F school and I wish we had p/f. But at the same time we aren't ever ranked and nothing is based on percentile as it is at many schools which takes off a lot of pressure.

It's important to me that the first year be P/F. As a non-science major, I doubt that I'll be at the top of my class for the first few months, as many other students will have a much greater background in the material that we cover. The playing field will equalize after a while, so I don't really care what the grading scale is after the first year. In fact, as competition brings the best out of me, I look forward to a grading system in the later years.
Not everyone will share my outlook. What you need to ask yourself is whether or not you like competition, and If you think you'll be comfortable in a competitive environment. Check out http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section1/grading1.cfm for info on school grading intervals.