Grads of Aussie Schools heading to the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Pill Counter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if this timeline is possible: graduation ~Dec, certification by ECFMG (a month later?) register, sit for Step 3, get the score (mid-March?), register with a medical board before the match and apply for a H1 before they run out by the end of March?
The more I think about it, the more it sounds way too ambitious. If I stick around for the intern year, does an intern year in Australia count for anything in the US? Or do you have to start from PGY1 all over?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortuately your internship in Australia will not count for anything in the US. It will only allow you to get registered in Australia. At least you will make some money while you do your internship.

one thing i know is that to get a H1B, u have to be "hired" by the certain company and that company will sponser/apply for H1B on your behalf through their immigration lawyer (no wayout). or in some cases, u can hire your own lawyer once you have the backing from the company. then depending on the lawyer it can take a few weeks to few months. the actual process can be done within a week but its those lawyers who tend not to prioritize your case. i am speaking from my exeprience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks bgeez but that's not really the issue. If someone graduates from here in December, can an applicant get everything ready and prepared to even apply for the H-1.
We all know that all H-1B's for the year are allotted by the end of March. I want to know whether it's possible to get all the required things done in time in b/w graduation and match day (ecfmg certification, step 3 reg, write and report, med. license reg.) I know immigration has an express app. process that costs more that gets it done in a week.

Oh I see, sorry for the confusion. well then cant say much.

i applied for H1b in early september through "express process" but i got it done after 2 months. the immigration dept processed it in a week though the lawyer kept contemplating it. point is get good lawyer. if the one the sponser's appoint sucks, get your own.

Pill Counter -- PM Kimberli Cox, somewhere in the archive are posts by her about res timelines (she graduated from Flinders).

BTW..when are you off to Brunei? Also, is there a message board for UQ students looking for housemates?

-pitman

nah, i got screwed out of brunei- they're limiting rotations, and it doesn't fit to when i wanted to go, oh well, maybe fourth year.
like i said to markdc, i'll forward you housing offers, since all of us in the med school have a listserv and get emails all the time.
I doubt Kim will be helpful, she's an American and wouldn't have been under the time pressure. Damn NAFTA, i could go to the States as a pharmacist under a TN, but it specifically prohibits physicians doing clinical work (only teaching and research) If I don't get the H1 and have to settle for the J1 then that's it, it stays with you forever and all of its inherent problems. I think I will have to talk to an attorney to get the definitive word on how it will play out.
exams in four days :(

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
nah, i got screwed out of brunei- they're limiting rotations, and it doesn't fit to when i wanted to go, oh well, maybe fourth year.
like i said to markdc, i'll forward you housing offers, since all of us in the med school have a listserv and get emails all the time.
I doubt Kim will be helpful, she's an American and wouldn't have been under the time pressure. Damn NAFTA, i could go to the States as a pharmacist under a TN, but it specifically prohibits physicians doing clinical work (only teaching and research) If I don't get the H1 and have to settle for the J1 then that's it, it stays with you forever and all of its inherent problems. I think I will have to talk to an attorney to get the definitive word on how it will play out.
exams in four days :(

pillcounter if your still looking to get an internship here you will have to apply for the visa pretty soon; before your current student visa applies...otherwise you will have to settle for the bridging visa.

Originally posted by The Pill Counter

I thought they were making moves to soon allow the entire third year to be taken in Brunei. Do you know the details of the limitations and what long-term plans are?

Yes, I'd like to hear about people looking for housemates, I'll likely be looking at renting a high-end 2-3 bedroom house.

-pitman

The whole year in Brunei thing won't be up and running till 2006 at the earliest, and rse, i'm just thinking ahead, I've still got two years to go.