PhD/PsyD Graduate Admissions Support Group

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Sharewithme, Apr 1, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Sharewithme

Sharewithme

Mar 18, 2017
    Hello,

I'm creating a support group for former applicants, those whose graduate school applications have been denied, and new applicants, those who have not applied to graduate school but would like to. My focus is on American Psychological Association (APA) accredited programs (i.e. Ph.D./Psy.D. in clinical psychology, counseling psychology, and school psychology) because this is my area of interest. I will gladly consider expanding the membership focus to programs inside and outside the APA accredited ones if people express a need and interest. I like going through the SDN to find interested individuals for the support group because SDN is a website monitored for appropriate and mature behavior. This responsible behavior is a graduate admissions support group requirement, too. How the graduate admissions support group differs from the support that is offered through SDN it that is frames and acknowledges graduate school admissions denial through the grief/loss lens while at the same time houses a space for applicants, former and new, to put our best selves forward as we work together and (re)apply.

Please check out the website Peer Support I created and tell me what you think! It is free to join and participate in the support group. It is more personal than the SDN in that anyone interested in putting a face to a name while describing their research, teaching, and practice interests is encouraged to; contact me so we can make it happen. You can choose to remain anonymous, nonetheless, and still benefit from group services. Good luck all!

Kind Regards,
    Sharewithme

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sharewithme

Sharewithme

Mar 18, 2017
    Um, no replies? Ha ha with around 300 views and not a word to this post something's up. I find humor in logic stuff like that (that out of a lot of views in probability terms at least it increases my chances of hearing something...yet no replies?). Besides logic, and what best captures my intentions, is that you guys and girls are great, and so I would really appreciate some feedback. If it's not all praise and sunshine, I can take it, but good comments about the group are welcome, too. Thanks, and I hope you're all doing well.

Best,
    Sharewithme

4. MCParent

MCParent Bronze Donor 5+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Faculty
    I glanced through the posts and some of the blog posts are concise and neat (e.g., faculty perspectives). Some of the other ones seem pretty light on content generation and just have some links though.
    I guess I'm confused about how it's a "group" when I don't see the web site allowing for interaction. Isn't Facebook a better medium for interaction?
    IMO, the "grief/loss" angle would be overkill for me. Maybe that's your target tho.

beyondnervous likes this.
  5. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Seems like over-pathologizing normal emotions by going the grief/loss route. Could be damaging in the same way that CISD is/was.

6. psych.meout

psych.meout

Oct 5, 2015
    This sounds like competition for SDN. Gets ready for the full force of internet strangers to hurt your feelings!

touchpause13, jmiah717 and Meteora like this.
  7. beyondnervous

beyondnervous

Jan 30, 2017
    I clicked on the site and wanted to provide you with some feedback. Briefly browsing through the sections, I don't see additional incentives for why SDN users would sign up for your "group" (It feels/reads more like a website or a personal blog vs. a group, by the way) when SDN already provides excellent resources and the ability for applicants to express their frustrations/vent/receive feedback from a variety of individuals already in the field (e.g., those who have gone through the application process several rounds, current graduate students, faculty, etc). Your website also has very personalized content many applicants may not relate to or find useful, since the content was created/added from your perspective/preferences only. Perhaps you may want to consider creating a Facebook group instead and create the content in a more interactive platform? For example, you can create a post that asks users to provide "Positive websites" they've found useful, or what music/songs helps them relax, ect. Good luck! :)

8. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Psychologist
    I agree with others about making the group more interactive. I also think that the grief and loss angle is a bit much, and could be especially off-putting to those who have experienced grief and loss in the more typical sense.

Maybe a "dealing with rejection" thread on this forum would be a good place to test the waters? I would expect that interest in the topic will peak a couple times of year (post-internship match and post-grad school admissions decisions).

9. smalltownpsych

smalltownpsych 2+ Year Member

Sales is all about identifying a need and meeting that need. Do students who are rejected need a support group or does SDN serve that function already? Additionally, many students will have other existing emotional supports that they are already using such as family, friends, religion, psychotherapy, mentors, etc. I am sure that you could say why a specific support group would be better, but it doesn't matter as long as the target audience feels that what they have already is good enough.

I used to work in sales for quite some time and I well remember a new ad campaign that was going to hit 100s of thousands of people and us being ready for the onslaught of calls and the phones being dead, dead, dead. We learned that the broad audience was not as effective for us as was a more targeted approach and that print was a better medium than broadcast. Good luck!

beyondnervous and MCParent like this.
  10. Justanothergrad

Justanothergrad 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2013
    As others have said, I don't see an additive component of this group to message forums that already exist and I am also a skeptical of the use 'grief/loss' language because it seems to over-pathologize the experience of frustration.

modestmousktr likes this.
  11. jmiah717

jmiah717

Mar 29, 2017
    Seems like what you're trying to do is easily accomplished with a thread. I've seen other threads (like those at the bottom of this page under "similar threads") that seem to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish. To me, it sort of sounds like, "hey, come let me help you, even though I may or may not actually be qualified to do so. Then I'll have some tangible thing to show for my own personal gain." That may be unfair, but that's what it sounds like to me at least. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but why bother with that when all the support you need is in the place where you are trying to siphon members from? I've noticed that you've resurrected some inactive threads, even at least one where the person you were targeting actually achieved admission as they stated on another thread. Seems like if one is rejected, time is better served by readying their application and subsequent materials for another go at it as opposed to commiserating with others who probably don't have a lot of advice to offer anyway since they also did not get in. Anyway, just some thoughts since you asked.

beyondnervous likes this.
  12. smalltownpsych

smalltownpsych 2+ Year Member

Another way to think about this is that a relatively small percentage of people want to participate in support groups of any type. When it is something with a larger pool like addiction or cancer victims or bereavement then that small percentage of the larger group can be enough to get a group going. People applying for doctoral programs and getting rejected is a pretty small group to start with.

13. beyondnervous

beyondnervous

Jan 30, 2017
    *Additional thought/concern (After reading @jmiah717's input): On your "about me," you explicitly state that this "support group" is "a key project integrating your personal and professional interests [of college student and adult grief/loss and social support]." Did you plan to use the information from participant interactions or the platform you have already created for research purposes? If so, I believe this moves into the grounds of obtaining IRB approval and having an actual professional/qualified (PhD holding) mentor to provide oversight for whatever your end goal is. I think clearly elaborating on the purpose of creating this website and what personal motives you have might bring some clarity to the questions/concerns potential "members" may raise before deciding to join your webpage/group.

modestmousktr, psygrad48 and jmiah717 like this.
  14. super.ego

super.ego

Mar 11, 2017
    I know this was [probably] not your intention, but as I was reading through your website I got the impression that the group's aim was more about bolstering its creators' resumes than helping those in need. Additionally, your site's not demonstrating benefits beyond what SDN offers (as other posters identified) only serves to reinforce my initial impression, i.e., that the website is less about helping others and more about "helping ourselves."

Perhaps I'm being too cynical, which is certainly possible. Did anyone have a similar reaction?

modestmousktr likes this.
  15. modestmousktr

modestmousktr 2+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2013

Yikes. You probably want to be less confrontational to your peers when your real name/school is attached to this website. I know there are some regularly "snarky" posters on the board that people come to expect, and I am not one of them... more of a lurker over several years that will add my two cents once a year or so if I feel helpful, but mostly come for advice. But I do have to say, in addition to all of the other concerns raised by other posters, there are just some basic things you will want to do for your professional image before this goes "live". One would be to finish the website- many of the areas of the website tell you to insert text, or state that it is where an excerpt belongs... the audience can see this, so it looks like you can't finish projects (not great for when grad adcoms google your name!). The second would be to stop trying to "sell" the website so much... I've noticed you reply to several comments in other threads about this, and I know it's a tough game and you're just trying to network, but it's giving people a weird vibe, which will come off to other professionals.

Good luck with everything... you two seem like competent and capable professionals, and with some fine-tuning, IRB approval, and professional development, this could be great.

Meteora and DailyJoy like this.