frfltotx

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am a DO who did a one year rotating internship and currently an IM-I in a dually accredited program. I was told I do not qualify to receive credit for any of my AOA-only program rotations. But I am now seriously considering appealing this decision through my current residency program and possibly ACGME. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how to go by this or know anyone who has been through similar situation and what was their outcome. Please fill free to post your comments.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
The ABIM does not allow credit for AOA training. From the ABIM's website:

Graduate Medical Education (GME)
To be admitted to the Certification Examination in Internal Medicine, physicians must have satisfactorily completed, by August 31st of the year of examination, 36 calendar months, including vacation time, of graduate medical education accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec. Residency or research experience occurring before completion of the requirements for the MD or DO degree cannot be credited toward the requirements for certification. The 36 months of residency training must include 12 months of accredited internal medicine training at each of three levels: R-1, R-2 and R-3. No credit is granted for training repeated at the same level or for administrative work as a chief medical resident. In addition, training as a subspecialty fellow cannot be credited toward fulfilling the internal medicine training requirements.
You are wasting your time. It's not up to your PD or GME office, and you will never get the ABIM to agree to certify AOA training as equivalent.