Graduate Class as an Undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks17

"First Pakistani-American Surgeon General?"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So would taking a science graduate class as a undergrad be viewed positively or negatively if you do well in it?
I am taking a grad science course this semester (I got special permission)

Members don't see this ad.

You should be aware that many graduate courses inflate grades - much worse than undergrad courses - and this is a well-known fact in academia. Grades don't matter for graduate students and they rarely flunk out (they have to maintain an average of around 3.0 depending on school, which is quite simple given the rampant inflation). So it shouldn't be difficult to do well if you put in the time and effort - you shouldn't ever sell yourself short just because you're an undergraduate.

In terms of how it looks, that would depend on who looks at it. As I said, it's known in academia that grad courses are grade-inflated. But you're also showing initiative by exploring material that is interesting to you at a greater depth. I think it would reflect positively on you if you did well in the course, which is almost easier to do than in undergraduate courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I like the course, its grad Genetics my pi teaches and i love the things I do in research and i would like to further educate my self about genetics by taking the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I like the course, its grad Genetics my pi teaches and i love the things I do in research and i would like to further educate my self about genetics by taking the class.
take it and enjoy the easy A

I took some classes with my school's med school and a few in the grad school with special permission. To my knowledge, there were no benefits in admission.

But I took those classes because I wanted to and the subject matter was unique. If you are only doing it to score points I would advise otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am taking it cause I like the class

Reactions: 1 users