Graduate classes as non-degree seeking in place of SMP?

Apr 11, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Pretty much what the title says. Did a search on SDN and couldn't find topic. Sorry if this has been asked. Even though its early in the cycle, I am starting to get nervous due to no acceptances. Plus its always good to have a Plan B.

Anyway, I live in a state where there are no true SMPs, however I am able to take graduate level course work at my local university/college of medicine as a non-degree seeking student (you don't need GRE if non-degree seeking).

Anyway, my question is if I enroll in graduate classes that I would be taking in a SMP anyway, would this be a good route to pursue?

mathnerd88

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Pretty much what the title says. Did a search on SDN and couldn't find topic. Sorry if this has been asked. Even though its early in the cycle, I am starting to get nervous due to no acceptances. Plus its always good to have a Plan B.

Anyway, I live in a state where there are no true SMPs, however I am able to take graduate level course work at my local university/college of medicine as a non-degree seeking student (you don't need GRE if non-degree seeking).

Anyway, my question is if I enroll in graduate classes that I would be taking in a SMP anyway, would this be a good route to pursue?
What are your stats and how many II's?

OP
M
Apr 11, 2012
Status
What are your stats and how many II's?
I have recently learned my cGPA isn't as high as I thought. (Thought it was 3.2)

cGPA:3.11 sGPA 3.3 MCAT 26. DO letter. MD letters And 4 years of exp as scribe.

I have 4 II. Two wailisted and two upcoming interviews.

Would SMP help?

mathnerd88

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I have recently learned my cGPA isn't as high as I thought. (Thought it was 3.2)

cGPA:3.11 sGPA 3.3 MCAT 26. DO letter. MD letters And 4 years of exp as scribe.

I have 4 II. Two wailisted and two upcoming interviews.

Would SMP help?
Did you figure out why you were waitlisted? Getting interviews this early and not getting accepted means you're not interviewing well.

OP
M
Apr 11, 2012
Status
Did you figure out why you were waitlisted? Getting interviews this early and not getting accepted means you're not interviewing well.
I didn't call because I didn't know how that was viewed so early after the interview.

If I am not interviewing well I am definitely ignorant to that fact. I've thought every interview I had went awesome.

Last MD I interviewed with said I was going to be a fantastic doctor haha. Then waitlist. But if I don't need traditional SMP I'll just take grad classes and keep going to interviews hoping for the acceptance.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Perfectly OK. This is what's known as a "DIY post-bac."

Reactions: frosted_flake