Graduate Courses as an Undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oxygen206

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking Advanced Organic Chemistry (a graduate level class) at my university after being asked by the professor to sign up for his class.

The class is extremely difficult because of the amount of work involved and obviously the subject material as well. Although I like organic chemistry and am surprisingly good at it (4.0 for ochem 1, 2 & 3), I'm unsure how much of a difference it would make to take it.

My question is, how heavily do admissions scrutinize ochem grades? I've heard that they really look at these because it's the first "hard class" premeds have to take. If that is true, I'm wondering how much a grad class in ochem would help... if at all? I'm not sure if it's worth it to really really have to bust my ass for an A in the class if it wont make much of a difference anyway. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say take it if it's a class that you're genuinely interested in taking; but don't bother if you'll just be doing it to make your transcript look a little more impressive. While doing well may earn you brownie points, doing not so well may make you wish you'd never bothered.

It's as important to your application as it is to you.

If you really think you will do as well in that class as you did in ochem AND you genuinely want to take it (as in, you are in love with ochem), then yeah take it, that's what college is about, I guess. But definitely do not take it on the notion that it will impress any adcoms because I don't think it will make a big difference--it's just ONE class. I think they look at your overall science GPA and grade trends more than looking closely at any specific grades earned in classes. Kids do get in all the time with a "B" in ochem, so that makes me think advanced ochem will not be any different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you just try it out and see. Drop it if you don't do well; continue w/ it if you're doing well and like it.