Graduate-Entry, International Student, Which is Surest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurboBoy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy, forum members.

I am interested in going to one of the graduate-entry med schools in Australia. There are a few that consider international applicants and I just wonder which two (I can only nominate two) are the ones that a person will most likely be accepted to?

I know Sydney and Queensland have the largest quotas for international applicants - but I can't assume that they'll be the likeliest because they might have a proportionally higher amount of applications... Does anyone know? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Flinders takes lots of international students.

JoeNamaMD said:
Flinders takes lots of international students.

Their quota for 2006 is 30 - which is still less than Queensland and Sydney. However, what I really need to know is the amount of applications per available spots for the schools?

Thanks again.

You won't get a very helpful answer for that. USyd, UQ and Flinders are *similarly* competitive (with slightly different emphasis b/w gpa, mcat and interview for each), with Melbourne standing out as prob a bit more (5.5 gpa, 30's mcat). Not so sure about the newer grad programmes, but they're generally a bit less competitive. There are more applicants at the schools each year, and more accepted each year, making it difficult to gauge relative quality.

UQ interviews somewhere around 3/2 as many applicants as acceptances, but such a gross number tells you little except for the simplest of stats (with their 8,8,8,M cutoff, you'd need to know the distribution to know more).

There is no central reporting board to collate the stats to give you much of a better answer -- each school has its own policy of how much of their admissions data to let out. But from reports from current students, if your MCAT is upper 20's or better, you'll get an interview at most schools. For UQ, the ave for last year starting students was 28O, but not sure about next year's cohort.

If what you're asking is which schools are hardest to get into, then an educated guess would be 1) Melbourne 2) Usyd, UQ, flinders 3) the rest

Otherwise, you'll need to be more (school-) specific(?)