Graduate in 3 years spend a year building app/making $$?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillzhou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't plan to apply to medical school any earlier (or later) but I was thinking to graduate in three years and then take a year off working (in a lab, or having some fulltime job). I was thinking to do this because well I'll have enough credits to graduate and it would save me money as well (no to mention i'll have a lot of loans to pay back!) I'll still be applying during my cycle but is this a bad idea in general, will adcoms treat me differently because of this?

Members don't see this ad.

I just posted about this today! haha

I'm in the exact same situation though, I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to finish my honors degree and thesis (research) and wind up not being able to have anything research related on my app, if I graduate in 3 years.

It was suggested to look into 1 year MPH programs, to me.

I have no idea how adcoms will view this, interested in seeing responses too.

I just posted about this today! haha

I'm in the exact same situation though, I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to finish my honors degree and thesis (research) and wind up not being able to have anything research related on my app, if I graduate in 3 years.

It was suggested to look into 1 year MPH programs, to me.

I have no idea how adcoms will view this, interested in seeing responses too.

yeah! the only thing that's interfering is my Spanish minor requirements..but so confused :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have the same bachelor's degree as everyone else plus a year of research/work experience. How could that be a bad thing? If you applied earlier, there might be concern about your maturity or the extent of your non-academic experience, but I don't see how your plan would be bad.