Graduate in 4 or 5?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvdawgs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Junior and I originally have been planning on graduating in May 2007. Recently, I got a new job in a lab and the PI has offered me the chance to continue the research in Lima, Peru in the summer of 2007. The catch is I have to still be an undergrad. So, I would have to return the Fall of 2007. If I did return I would receive a minor in business to fill the semester.

Now my questions are: Do I take this oppertunity and graduate in 4.5/5 years? If I appy to Vet School for the Fall 2007 class and the slight chance I get in, can I defer it for a year like medical school?

Thanks for you input.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say take the opportunity to go to Lima! It sounds like it would be a great experience. From the standpoint of veterinary school, I think this is a chance to do something unique, that will make you stand apart from the crowd. I would not at all worry about the extra year in college. I did not even apply to veterinary school until the summer after I graduated and I used my year off to go to Brazil and then get a little more work experience. You will not be behind in any sense by taking a little longer to complete your undergraduate studies.
As far as deferment goes, it is not as common to defer for veterinary school compared medical school. There are some veterinary schools that will consider deferments, but as a whole I do not think that it is that easy to do. If you would not be able to attend during the admissions cycle you apply in, I would really suggest waiting to apply until the following year. As long as you have veterinary related work experience and the GPA to back yourself up, you are probably going to improve your chances of getting accepted by taking the trip to Lima.
If you have your heart set on applying this year, you should talk to the admissions people at the schools you are considering to see how they feel about the possibility of a deferment. Good luck!

Can you sign up for a full semester worth of classes for the fall, apply to vet school anyway, then drop the undergrad classes if you get in? and technically you can still be an undergrad with just one class left to finish your degree-i dont think youd have to fill the semester. or maybe you can get the summer experience to count as a research class or something, and not get your degree until you return. at least at my undergrad you dont automatically graduate- you have to initate the process so it would be easy to put off graduating until you have taken the "class".
i think either way you should make sure they care that much about you being an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, go for it! Thats an opportunity of a lifetime. Wish I'd had the same predicament..

My advice is to spend time in Peru.

I agree with Wishes. This is the factor that could make you stand out. It's like the icing on the cake. :)