Graduate in 6 years or 7 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I finish my combined dentistry+PhD program in 2023 or 2024?

• Finish it in 6 years though your last year will be chaotic and weaker PhD training

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Finish it in 7 years though it's longer cause it's alot more chill and you get better PhD training.

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

DentistScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently entering my 6th year Dentistry DDS/PhD combined program. I have been fortunate to be fully supported by NIH T90 and F30 grants.

One of the special features of my combined program is to choose the specialty of my choice after completing it.

But because I am very passionate about academic career and research, I aim to combine the dental specialty residency and post-doc.

The combined Orthodontics + PostDoc program will take 5 years and will also be fully supported by NIH T32 and possibly be by NIH F32 or K23.

The reason I add post-doc in my residency is not only because of these NIH grants but also want to build a strong resume when i am applying for next NIH grants like K08 and K99/R00.

And of course, the dean and the chair of the orthodontics department are very supportive about my idea.

So I talked to my PhD mentor about this and he told me that I have the option to graduate either next year (in 6 years) or in 2 years (in 7 years).

If I graduate in 6 years, of course this is a good deal due to a year I save. However, my next year (2022-2023) will be pretty chaotic due to about 10% remaining dental school requirement, the licensing exam requirement, peer-reviewed publication for my PhD and also the PhD dissertation as well. And obviously this could also weaken my PhD training.

If I graduate in 7 years, this may sound like a bad deal cause I spend another year as a PhD student. However, my final year (2023-2024) will be a lot more chill due to having plenty of time for licensing exam and PhD dissertation. And obviously this could give me stronger PhD training.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thank you!

DentistScientist

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean it seems kinda obvious in your case. Since your training path is fully funded, why make you life a headache next year? You have quite a few years left during residency/post-doc - so an addition of one year but coming out stronger on the other end is more ideal - esp if your goal is gunning for those super competitive starter grants (e.g. K99/R00, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user