graduate level courses

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by justapremed, Jun 4, 2008.

1. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    So i took 2 grad level courses in chemistry (orgo and pchem) during my first semester of junior year. I thought that in itself might be something impressive but I didn't quite get an A in either (A- and B). But I would like to also mention that the pchem course, I more or less "independently" studied. That semester was pretty tough for me with biochem and two writing-intensive courses on top of a lot of hours devoted to EC.

Is this (ie. I took 2 grad level courses as an undergrad) worth mentioning explicitly anywhere? I don't know if adcoms are necessarily familiar with how grad level classes are numbered in each institution, and I don't want them to just pass it off as "oh, ok, she took an extra semester of orgo after her 2 pre-req orgo classes."

Or maybe I'm just over-emphasizing this point :laugh:

PS: I'm planning on mentioning the point about the "independent" study in my secondaries somewhere...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pianola

pianola MS2

Medical Student
    If I'm not mistaken, I think you can explicitly label them grad classes on your AMCAS transcript?

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    If they were taken toward an undergraduate degree requirement, then you probably cannot. (and if you did well, you probably wouldn't want to, as you would lose those grades from your ug GPA.) But I would check with AMCAS on this.

5. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    the name i kept as written on my transcript, which just says "organic chemistry III"... and yeah, it was just taken for an undergraduate degree, though I didn't need to.

6. armybound

armybound future urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't mention it specifically anywhere