Mar 5, 2010
Status
By the end of May I would be done with all my requirements and would be able to graduate. I'm registered to graduate after this semester and I plan on coming back to school to repeat a few classes over the summer and fall semesters. If I graduate and get my diploma I would have to register as a Non-degree student and would have to pay $285 per credit. I would have to pay about $5k in total to repeat 4 classes. If I dont graduate and stay as an undergrad I could still recieve financial aid and it will cover the entire tuition. What do you guys think I should do? I'm leaning towards graduation since I have already been in school for 5 years and don't want to drag this any longer but I don't want to pay or rather I can't pay the tuition without taking loans (something I really don't want to do). Would DOs school ask me why it took me 5.5 years to graduate? Would they care at all?

Thanks

Jun 25, 2009
Status
By the end of May I would be done with all my requirements and would be able to graduate. I'm registered to graduate after this semester and I plan on coming back to school to repeat a few classes over the summer and fall semesters. If I graduate and get my diploma I would have to register as a Non-degree student and would have to pay $285 per credit. I would have to pay about $5k in total to repeat 4 classes. If I dont graduate and stay as an undergrad I could still recieve financial aid and it will cover the entire tuition. What do you guys think I should do? I'm leaning towards graduation since I have already been in school for 5 years and don't want to drag this any longer but I don't want to pay or rather I can't pay the tuition without taking loans (something I really don't want to do). Would DOs school ask me why it took me 5.5 years to graduate? Would they care at all?

Thanks
Obviously, your debt will be lower if you could pay the tuition for one semester. Unless of course, you are receiving grants in which case you would be crazy to graduate sooner. But if you can't swing it, then just delay graduation.

Everglide

EM PGY3
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would do whichever is cheaper. I really doubt your transcript is going to say when you graduated (and then came back for more classes), at least at my school it wouldn't and would just show a list of classes and the semester/year.

antapolar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The DO school won't care if you took 5 or 5.5 yrs. I mean you've already took more than the norm 4 yrs so an extra .5 isn't going to affect much. I did 5 yr undergrad too, and besides some poor grades, they never ask me to explain the 'duration' of my studies. That being said, do you feel you have to repeat these classes? if they really help out your chances in applying then i don't think you have a choice. You mentioned yourself that you CAN'T pay, so sry to say but you prob should postpone that graduation then.

DrDre2001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2008
Status
Easy decision, unless I am missing something. Delay graduation and get financial aid (assuming much of it is in grants and not loans).