Graduate or not...Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I have a 3.50 overall GPA, 3.06 science GPA, 3.11 BCP GPA.
I take the DAT next Friday...I'm expecting 20+ scores in all three sciences.
I am applying to about 15 schools this cycle.

I have the option to graduate Summer 2012 with a degree in history...only if I take the rest of the required classes and Physics 1 and 2.
If I were to take additional classes (such as biology classes to raise my science and BCP GPA's)...then I would graduate Fall 2012.

My question is: If I just stick to graduating Summer 2012, and I do not get into dental school this cycle then I could at least have graduated and started a Special Master's Program or a Post-Bacc program starting Fall 2012 somewhere, right?

And during the Post-Bacc, I could apply to dental schools with a better science GPA and have a way better shot at getting in and start dental school Fall 2013.

What do you guys think I should do?....Graduate summer 2012 and (if I don't get in this cycle) start a post-bacc program in Fall 2012, apply to dental schools again, and have a better shot at getting in next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

broAssuming you do get 20+'s on your DAT, I think that you have a good shot at an interview if you apply to a bunch of schools with your current stats. I think the bigger question will be whether or not you have a dream school or a preference for certain schools that have higher requirements. Would you rather get into somewhere now, or have to chance to get into somewhere you really want to go to later? It's a tough and expensive decision.

My question is: If I just stick to graduating Summer 2012, and I do not get into dental school this cycle then I could at least have graduated and started a Special Master's Program or a Post-Bacc program starting Fall 2012 somewhere, right?

Take a moment and reread that again!

What is the purpose of a post-bacc?
It's to give your undergrad GPA a boost.

If you did not graduate and kept on taking classes, what is the effect of that?
It'll give your undergrad GPA a boost...