Graduate programs that take Miller Analogies Test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derekream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came home today from my GRE prep class I am taking, and I feel very very down about the material I lack knowledge about. (This can be a topic on its own).

I don't believe myself to be unable to succeed in a graduate program in psychology, I really love the study and science of it, my GPA and grades in psychology in my B.A. does a good job at showing my success in that regards. However, I am scared that I wont be able to do well enough on the GRE to open that door to allow me to become a psychologist.

Granted, there are many debates and sides of the these debates around the GRE and GPA, etc. I would firmly say that the GRE does not indicate my success. I was in remedial math and science in high school, made a 13 on the ACT. I really didn't care about the ACT because I got accepted into both Juilliard and New England Conservatory of Music to study music performance. Little did I know or expect, I moved back home after a year at NEC, and decided to study sociology and psychology.

I worked hard and went to UNT and graduated with a 3.70 in my major and a 3.66 in my minor. So, again, I believe that the ACT or SAT does not always accurately predict how well a person can do in school, I am living testament to that. To wrap my little "vent session," are there programs (master's or Ph.D/ Psy.D.) that would take the Miller Analogies Test rather than having to submit a GRE?

Members don't see this ad.

First, I totally agree that the GRE isn't very indicative of graduate success. I did very poorly on the quant section, and still made my way into a great program. I think many schools use a holistic approach when making admissions decisions. Make sure you have killer letters of rec, a well-written personal statement, and ultimately , blow them away at the interview.

That all being said, my advice is to simply suck it up and study hard for the GRE. Some people are just good at taking these tests and some are not (such as myself). But don't limit your school prospects because you're afraid of how you will do on the test. Just do your best with it! It's seriously not the end of the world if it doesn't go as well as you'd like. The GRE is a tool to weed out applicants. Most importantly, have some confidence in yourself and accomplishments. You sound like a great student with awesome potential! PM me if you have questions

I am absolutely terrible at math (18 on the Math part of the ACT) and I did well enough to get into a funded PhD program. You just have to find programs that don't use cutoffs or have a cutoff that you meet.