Graduate School Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently graduated from the University of Central Florida with a BS in Psychology. Due to some medical and family issues that threw me off track for a bit, I graduated with a meanly 2.99. At one point my plan was to get an MSW so I have a social work internship on my resume, but during the internship I realized that the field isn't for me. I dream of getting a ph.d in cognitive psych, but I know my low GPA and lack if research exp. will make getting into a PHd program near impossible right now. I have been looking into Masters programs, but it seems that all the reputable programs require at least a 3.0. I am planning on tailing the GRE soon and have always been good at standardized tests and am confident I will score high. I was just wondering if I have any shot of getting into a masters program or if I should look into getting a second bachelors first? If a second bachelors would help that what would the best degree to go for be ( I was thinking Stat would be useful)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently graduated from the University of Central Florida with a BS in Psychology. Due to some medical and family issues that threw me off track for a bit, I graduated with a meanly 2.99. At one point my plan was to get an MSW so I have a social work internship on my resume, but during the internship I realized that the field isn't for me. I dream of getting a ph.d in cognitive psych, but I know my low GPA and lack if research exp. will make getting into a PHd program near impossible right now. I have been looking into Masters programs, but it seems that all the reputable programs require at least a 3.0. I am planning on tailing the GRE soon and have always been good at standardized tests and am confident I will score high. I was just wondering if I have any shot of getting into a masters program or if I should look into getting a second bachelors first? If a second bachelors would help that what would the best degree to go for be ( I was thinking Stat would be useful)?

Do well on your GRE, you should be able to get into a masters program. Funding will be another issue however. Good luck, I was in the same situation with a 2.90 and did my masters.

Do well on the GRE and you may even want to consider taking a graduate level course or two (and getting A's in them). Definitely start off with your masters, there is no shame in that at all. You'll still be on the right track and it's an excellent way to start.

See above, crush the GRE with some solid scores (160's) and you'll be in a Masters program with little difficulty. Find one that shows solid placements into Ph.D. programs and get on with it... Best of luck!