graduate student and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Are there any medical schools in US which like accepting or give priority to graduate students with Masters or PhDs for admission to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

That specific data would be difficult to track down. You can look at MSAR and it does state the percent of marticulants with graduate degree, but that does not give you an idea whether grad degree holders are any more competitive than the average applicant .

If your grad degree is in sciences or research, you might consider that extensive research experience. I reckon the top research schools might be interested in that. So one could reason that you might be more attractive to top schools (given that you match their stats).

If you are talking about Masters degrees, than the wisdom around SDN is that Masters does not benefit you enormously. However, I have my doubts about this line of thought.

I'm just a few months away (hopefully) of finishing my PhD, so it would be interesting if there is any information on this. From my admittedly small amount of research, it seems having a PhD doesn't confer any great advantage.

Having a Masters or PhD would basically give you an advantage as far as scoring well on the MCAT due to more knowledge in those sciences (as long as you got a degree in a science). Other than that, adcoms have become immune to PhDs and Masters applying cause so many people do that. Rock the MCAT and maintain a high GPA and you will be GOLDEN.