Graduate student pre-med with a douche PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mokhoras

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I am a 2nd year (almost 3rd year) graduate student in a MS/PhD program for Biomedical engineering and I am having issues with my advisor. Its been going on for a while that I just dont feel he fits my personality and the project I'm doing isn't interesting me. He has told me he isn't happy with my progress, and to an extent he is correct. I haven't been doing as much as I want, but I am bogged down with 2 classes and a disc herniation that flares up from time to time. I try not to use this as an excuse and I make sure I have something for him to look at every week, but this isn't enough for him.

I don't know if its personal, but I don't think he wants me working with him. The friction started when I started with him in 2011. I wasn’t accustomed to the quarter system, and the first two quarters of full graduate courseloads were tough on me. So I dropped a class he recommended in the spring quarter because I felt burned out and wanted to take it at a later quarter, with the hopes of starting a project instead. I had high blood pressure at the time and it was recommended I lighten my courseload (which I told him, but he forgot). After I did that, I felt that he was mad at me and I have had a hard time communicating with him ever since. I feel that even if I right the ship and work harder (which I certainly will once classes are done) he will have scorn for me and wont give me a good LOR when I need on for med school. He tells me things like "ive thought 100 times to get rid of you from my lab" and "you're a pain in the ass to work with" and gave me an unsatisfactory annual report, even though he seemed to be okay with my progress in winter quarter. He never bothers to even acknowledge me sometimes and constantly puts pressure on me during lab meetings by asking me simple questions and saying my answers aren’t good enough for him. I really wish he would be more forthcoming and let me know what I am doing wrong sooner, rather than wait until the end of the year and tell me I’m making poor progress, but I guess I should have brought it up myself. I really don’t know how to work with him and I regret committing to this guy's lab. I only did so because I had no time to amply rotate in other labs.

In all, I think the negative energy I get from him and the lack of interest I have in this project is contributing to my inability to progress. My lab mates are super to me, however I can’t stand my PI any longer. I am hoping to get your suggestions of what to do. I still want to at least get an MS, but I am thinking of changing to another PI. Problem is, this sets me back for medical school application and might cause me to go into more debt. So, if you have any valuable input about this that could help me decide what to do that would be great!

Thanks.

You need some self-esteem. Either calmly sit down with your PI to explain your side of the situation or you might as well quit. You have to soothe the situation because every medical school will want a LOR from your PI. It would be a red flag to not have one.

Also, maybe do some self discovery. Medical school is long and challenging. If you are having trouble juggling your course load, research time, and a person life, you might struggle a lot more than the average medical student.

You need some self-esteem. Either calmly sit down with your PI to explain your side of the situation or you might as well quit. You have to soothe the situation because every medical school will want a LOR from your PI. It would be a red flag to not have one.

Also, maybe do some self discovery. Medical school is long and challenging. If you are having trouble juggling your course load, research time, and a person life, you might struggle a lot more than the average medical student.

First off, your PI is a d-ick. Even if you do sh-itty work, that doesn't mean he needs to be an as-shole.

I agree with Porfirio. Calmly sit with him and talk it out. If he is still a dick, then leave and do something else. You only live once, and there is more than one way into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like an interesting situation. HOWEVER, your PI is your PI. You chose to work with that person and therefore you must have saw something worthwhile in them initially. I was in a similar situation and let me tell you. Try to relax before you complete your studies and start on medical school apps. If you are frustrated with that person in anyway it will show on your application. People are people, and I would like to think that med school admissions evualuate how well applicants adjust to difficult situations. The OP is extremely immature and I wouldnt advise you look at your situation that way. Here are a few questions that you should ask yourself before applying to med school:

1) What have I learned from working with my PI

2) How have I changed from this experience.

3) What do I want to accomplish before finishing

If you dont have a good answer for these questions or can't see yourself explaining them to your PI its gonna be tough to explain your experience to each medical school and learn from the difficult situation you are in. So take it from someone who has applied twice now.... don't ever have a negative attitude when striving towards medical school. Would you want a doctor with a negative attitude? I'd rather have a doctor who got average grades than one who graduated AOA yet is always negative. In most cases he wont be very optimistic when faced with a challenging health issue.

I wasn't able to read all that you wrote, but I can tell you are frustrated. Try as hard to make the best out of your situation. People feed off of each others energy, if your in a bad mood he will act that way towards you. Sounds like you guys need to start over, communicate better, and create a plan for the future. He may be upset that you are leaving research for medicine. Most PI's get that way because how much time they put into their students. However, this is a temporary thing for him as he will eventually cope and wish the best for you. You should communicate your feelings to him, and emphasize your concerns. Don't get locked up in a 'cold war' with the guy, where you both silently hate each other. :) Good luck my friend. You have a promising future ahead of you.

Sounds like an interesting situation. HOWEVER, your PI is your PI. You chose to work with that person and therefore you must have saw something worthwhile in them initially. I was in a similar situation and let me tell you. Try to relax before you complete your studies and start on medical school apps. If you are frustrated with that person in anyway it will show on your application. People are people, and I would like to think that med school admissions evualuate how well applicants adjust to difficult situations. The OP is extremely immature and I wouldnt advise you look at your situation that way. Here are a few questions that you should ask yourself before applying to med school:

1) What have I learned from working with my PI

2) How have I changed from this experience.

3) What do I want to accomplish before finishing

If you dont have a good answer for these questions or can't see yourself explaining them to your PI its gonna be tough to explain your experience to each medical school and learn from the difficult situation you are in. So take it from someone who has applied twice now.... don't ever have a negative attitude when striving towards medical school. Would you want a doctor with a negative attitude? I'd rather have a doctor who got average grades than one who graduated AOA yet is always negative. In most cases he wont be very optimistic when faced with a challenging health issue.

I wasn't able to read all that you wrote, but I can tell you are frustrated. Try as hard to make the best out of your situation. People feed off of each others energy, if your in a bad mood he will act that way towards you. Sounds like you guys need to start over, communicate better, and create a plan for the future. He may be upset that you are leaving research for medicine. Most PI's get that way because how much time they put into their students. However, this is a temporary thing for him as he will eventually cope and wish the best for you. You should communicate your feelings to him, and emphasize your concerns. Don't get locked up in a 'cold war' with the guy, where you both silently hate each other. :) Good luck my friend. You have a promising future ahead of you.

I agree. I have a good friend that ended her PhD early to go to med school, transitioning to a masters, so of course it can be done. But I think, first, you need to get in a place of cool, calm reflection and really work these problems out before you act on impulse.

I have met graduate students who are really unhappy with their PI. At most institutions, there tends to be some kind of support network or "safety net" for this situation, because it is challenging to find a perfect match with limited time together during the PhD application process. It may be, as mokhoras suggests, that it's difficult for anybody to find a "perfect" mentor. I'd explore the support systems of your school and get advice from graduate students at your institution.

You have options-I wouldn't get too worked up. The best place to start is first by talking to your PI. People who go into research, especially those who are successful, tend to have a very "type A" personality that can be intimidating and polarizing. There's a reason why they prefer the bench to the clinic. I also agree that if you do decide to go the MD route, you need to find a positive way to spin this. Put bluntly, medical schools do not like hearing "quitting stories."