alexandertg6

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Im currently a sophomore at UNC and i need a little advice. Im way ahead on my graduation requirements and only need 5 classes to graduate which seems like a bit of a waste of time to spend 2 years taking... I need to take organic chem 1&2, physics 2 and 2upper level biology classes (for my major).

I will be taking organic chem 1 and 2 over the summer so by the time i enter my junior year i will only need 1 course required before applying to med school (physics 2), as the biology classes i can take after i put in my application to med school.

Since physics 2 has a lab i dont think i can take them at the same time im taking organic chem because both have labs... Would it be possible to apply for medschool in the fall even though im still taking physics 2? Can you see any way around wasting a whole year to take one class?

Thanks for the help,
Alex

phonyreal98

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
Don't you have to take analytical+lab too? Because the analytical and orgo I labs are combined...:rolleyes:

And to answer your question...it sounds like you're rushing yourself a bit...if I were in your position I'd slow down, to be honest. Stay at UNC the four years and branch out a bit...add another major, add a minor, study abroad, etc etc. Doctors practice for 30+ years once they graduate med school...what's the harm in practicing for one less year in order to explore yourself? Who knows? Maybe even after this godawful basketball season, we might be in contention for another national championship in 2012!

alexandertg6

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
im taking orgo 1 and 2 at State over the summer, if you do that you dont have to take analytical + lab :p. I know what youre saying but im in a slightly tight financial situation so that puts studying abroad a bit out of reach and ive already done enough partying etc to the point where im kinda getting bored of it and ready to see whats next. I mean if i can get into med school a little earlier i can get out a little earlier, and it wouldnt be bad to be done with residency by the time im 28, you know? plus i came in with 30+ credit hours from AP classes so idk

im thinking to maybe just try taking the MCAT in August and apply with physics enrollment in the fall to just a couple of schools a bit before the deadline in October. I have connections and such so my chances wouldnt be great but i dont think it would hurt anything... if i dont get in just take my time, and apply next year with a much stronger application... i might lose the application fee but it might be worth the small chance id have and the experience of knowing exactly what to do the second time around.

P.s. being a student on franklin street the night of the national championship last year makes me not so worried about our basketball team ever again, I already had my once in a lifetime party hah

-Alex

SweetRain

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I would encourage you to stay for four years unless money is the tight issue here. You can either add in another major or just take liberal arts classes that may help you in the future.
Personally I envy you because there are so many classes that I wanted to take, such as health policy, Spanish, art history etc but I'm really on a tight degree plan.
Or instead of applying a year early, why don't you do an internship or volunteer for a year? That would make you a stronger applicant.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
If I were in your financial shoes, I'd take OChem I and Physics II over the summer, before taking the MCAT. There is often little OChem II on the MCAT, but you need to be solid in your Physics II to do well. Then take the second Ochem in the fall, listing it as a future course on yor AMCAS application.

Also, if you take the MCAT in August, getting the scores back a month later, you should have already submitted to AMCAS about two weeks before taking the test (but to just one school) so the 5 week verification process will be complete by the time the score returns. If the score is competitive, add the other schools and the entire application will go to them by one business day. While waiting for the score, prewrite your Secondary essays from prompts you'll fined here on SDN, so your turn -around time when formally invited to send it is a day or so. This timing will make the application dollars less likely to be wasted.

You could also take the test, but not apply until the following year, spending the extra year beefing up your Experiences while you work.

phonyreal98

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
You could also take the test, but not apply until the following year, spending the extra year beefing up your Experiences while you work.
This is what I would recommend doing if you're in a tight financial spot.

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i couldve graduated earlybut instead i spent my last year taking classes i was interested in. this is your last chance to just take a class for the fun of it, because you are interested in the topic even mildly. I took general relativity, cosmology, science fiction literature and a bunch of other classes just to exapnd my knowledge and have fun... you wont get another chance like this and I am super happy i didnt waste it.
med school is nothing liek college. i had time for 3 jobs, 4 clubs and partying in college.. now i dont even have time for 1 stupid part time job or anything.

alexandertg6

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Catalystik, so youre saying to submit the AMCAS 2 weeks before the MCAT test date and then go back and add on other schools after i receive my score if i do well? or did i misunderstand?

and I actually have been really lucky coming in with as many credit hours as i have along with a desire to knock out almost all my requirements in my first year has left my second year open to classes which im only taking out of interest such as 3 separate foreign languages and auditing a humanities class, but i dont really want to do that for a full 3 years >.<

thanks, grazie, gracias, y merci :cool:

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
im thinking to maybe just try taking the MCAT in August and apply with physics enrollment in the fall to just a couple of schools a bit before the deadline in October. I have connections and such so my chances wouldnt be great but i dont think it would hurt anything... if i dont get in just take my time, and apply next year with a much stronger application... i might lose the application fee but it might be worth the small chance id have and the experience of knowing exactly what to do the second time around.
If money is tight, why the heck would you waste it by applying so late in the cycle? So many people don't end up with an acceptance because they wait until the deadline to submit. This isn't the college application process, where you can get away with applying a day before the deadline. Very, very few people are successful that way.

And trust me on this, you do not want to be a reapplicant. It sucks having to go through this process more than once.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Catalystik, so youre saying to submit the AMCAS 2 weeks before the MCAT test date and then go back and add on other schools after i receive my score if i do well? or did i misunderstand?
You understood correctly. Submitting 6 weeks before the score is expected back gives you a 95%+ chance of being verified by the time the score comes back. Exceptions tend to be those who forgot to mail in one of their transcripts from a long-ago isolated community college class, or when the college screws up and fails to mail the requested transcript in a timely manner. Request all transcripts at least two weeks before you plan to submit, so they are ready and waiting at the AMCAS office, ready to go.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
The major weakness of applicants coming in with only 2 years of school after HS graduation is the lack of experiences. Your application will just look sparce next to someone who has been in college for 3 years, 4 years or who has taken time off after college graduation.

Take the MCAT between now and Spring of your last year on campus. Be adequately prepared and take it once! submit your application about the time of college graduation and plan on a year off for employment and/or volunteering in a lab and/or clinical situation, whatever is needed to round out your application. Working will also give you some $ for the interview expenses.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
To emphasize what SweetRain and LizzyM have said, if your Experiences are not everything that the guys with an extra year will be listing, you'll be at a serious disadvantage in the application process. An average applicant has about 1.5 years of clinical experience, a decent amount of physician shadowing, some research, and maybe leadership or teaching activities, not to mention possible nonmedical community service, artistic endeavors, sports, and hobbies. Will you have all this by next July?

alexandertg6

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yeah ill have a solid 5 years clinical experience along with hundreds of hours of shadowing, research including a summer grant for which im the PI to look at dendritic cell gene expression in infants, treasurer of a student organization on campus, but sports not so much unfortunately... my well roundedness is mostly in the languages and art interests but nothing concrete

About applying right before the deadline... would that make it not worth applying at all? Basically what i want to know is how do med school application deadlines actually work if they arent like college deadlines?

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why the rush? Leaving college after 3 years is like leaving a party at 8pm.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
About applying right before the deadline... would that make it not worth applying at all? Basically what i want to know is how do med school application deadlines actually work if they arent like college deadlines?
Think of it this way... there are 50,000 applicants to about 125 schools (few more now that more schools have opened). Each has an average class size of, say, 175 students. So, there are ~22,000 slots open. Less than half of applicants in any given year will get in.

For college, though, you have thousands of different colleges across the US. Sure, you may not get in to your top choice, but the chances of you not getting in anywhere are slim to none, especially since most state schools are required to accept students of a certain profile. There is no such guarantee for med school. My state school rejected me, while two other state schools on the other side of the country accepted me.

If you apply right before the deadline, most of the 50,000 applicants will already have complete applications somewhere. Interviews will be going on before you even get your primary application in the door, and it takes time to send in your secondary. Your application will be at the very bottom of the pile, so the chances that it will even be looked at before most interviews are given out is slim. You might get lucky and get an interview slot, but it'll be in the Spring, close to the end of interview season. For schools that have rolling admissions, by the time you interview, they'll have already made acceptance offers to plenty of students by the time you interview. You could very well just be interviewing for a slot on the waitlist.

So, no, it's really not worth applying if you're going to do so right before the deadline. August is iffy. October (the deadline is around Oct 15th) is pointless.

alexandertg6

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
most of the schools im looking to apply to have a Dec1st deadline, how bad of an idea would it be to take MCAT in August and apply in September if the deadline is Dec. 1st? and are there any schools that dont do rolling admissions?

thanks for all the posts, they are definitely very helpful

-Alex

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Harvard doesn't have rolling admissions. I'm not sure of any of the others.

We're making 3 points here and I'm adding a 4th:
  • the best odds are with those who apply in the first 30 days of the applicaion cycle
  • leaving college early is missing out on one of the best experiences of life
  • the application of someone after two years of college is by definition weaker than the application of someone with at least 3 yrs of college
  • college juniors are quite obviously (to interviewers) less mature than college seniors

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
Im currently a sophomore at UNC and i need a little advice. Im way ahead on my graduation requirements and only need 5 classes to graduate which seems like a bit of a waste of time to spend 2 years taking... I need to take organic chem 1&2, physics 2 and 2upper level biology classes (for my major).

I will be taking organic chem 1 and 2 over the summer so by the time i enter my junior year i will only need 1 course required before applying to med school (physics 2), as the biology classes i can take after i put in my application to med school.

Since physics 2 has a lab i dont think i can take them at the same time im taking organic chem because both have labs... Would it be possible to apply for medschool in the fall even though im still taking physics 2? Can you see any way around wasting a whole year to take one class?

Thanks for the help,
Alex
LOL

Well, I graduated early needing only to take physics I and II and organic chemistry I and II with the four labs for each of those classes.

Now, here I am seven years later still wanting to go to medical school after launching a successful career, with a few other jobs that I tried on for size along the way, and in a position to throw it all away and go back to school full-time. I really hate the fact that there's no other way for me to get those classes accomplished. However, I do know that back then I wouldn't have been successful in the classes that I needed.

If I were you I'd fill out the form you need to go to graduation, get the diploma, put it in a drawer, and enroll the following semester to keep on pursuing the prereqs you need to apply.

Last edited:

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
most of the schools im looking to apply to have a Dec1st deadline, how bad of an idea would it be to take MCAT in August and apply in September if the deadline is Dec. 1st? and are there any schools that dont do rolling admissions?

thanks for all the posts, they are definitely very helpful

-Alex
Even if a school doesn't have rolling admissions (which means they send all their acceptances at the same time), they still give out interviews on a rolling basis. Why the heck would they wait until all the applications are in Dec 1 before handing out interviews? They start interviews in September/October, generally. If you wait until Dec 1 to submit your secondary (the primary has to be submitted Oct 15th, if I remember correctly), then they'll have already interviewed for a couple months, and have probably already handed out interviews for the next 1-2 months. That leaves a month, maybe two, of interview dates. You have to have a pretty stellar application to get an interview at that point. And graduating in three years simply won't give you that stellar application.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
First off, just to clarify--normally you apply the June before you graduate or want to enter medical school. SO if you want to enter medical school in Fall 2011, you would apply this June ( as in two months) You should apply for Medical school EARLY in the application period--meaning JUNE. The later you apply the less likely your chances of acceptance will be. If money is tight, then graduate early, find an internship, or a research position. You can graduate in the fall or after three years and apply in June, and have a year or semester off as you wait for you to hear from the schools. Don't be afraid of free time. Use it.

If you want to stay 4 years, then I would suggest you study abroad!

Basically you don't want to apply for medical school in the FALL...bad idea. Just wait and apply later. Medical schools and secondaries are EXPENSIVE.

Dr Pennypacker

Removed
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Podiatrist
I graduated early. I miss it! A lot of my professors actually had me jump in and teach the class. It was weird and awkward, but in the end I had fun.