Graduated 2013, applying 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organesha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding my plans for applying..

I graduated June 2013 with all pre-reqs done except for physics because I was never able to fit it into my undergrad schedule. I did a summer research fellowship this summer and started physics in September, which I'll finish in June 2014. I plan on doing the Sn2ed plan all summer 2014 to take the MCAT in September 2014 (pretty much one shot, I know, but it doesn't seem like there are any other feasible options unless I want to take psych and sociology). In this case, I plan on having my application ready and applying by the start of the cycle, June 2015. In the meantime I've been shadowing, volunteering in a hospital ICU, and will start as a medical scribe in a few weeks. 3.73 GPA so far and 2 years research.

-Questions-
1. I personally asked and received confirmation from 3 professors for letters of rec before graduation in 2013, but waiting until 2015 for the letters doesn't seem right...should I just maintain contact with them until then?
2. Is there anything else I can be doing to increase my chances of acceptance?
3. Does this timeline seem ok? I haven't really consulted with anyone about it, any constructive input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied over a year out of college.

The thing to keep in mind for LORs is whether or not your letter writers are going to write a better letter if you wait. I'll give you an example. One of my letters is written by the head of my minor department who has taught me in a few courses. I basically wanted his letter to be about what I bring to the table outside of the sciences. I currently work, and have been working, in research so waiting for a publication etc wasn't going to make that particular letter stronger. I outlined my plan exactly and asked him to write a letter after I finished my last course with him (about 2 years before my application went out). He wrote the letter at that time and held on to the file until I was actually applying, at which point it was trivial for him to send it in with the right dates etc.

On the other hand, I held off asking for one of my science LORs since I think that the additional info/accomplishments I made in my time off influenced the contents of that letter.

Edit: your ECs seem pretty ordinary. Unless you research is a major part of your application and you have invested a lot into your accomplishments there, I would try and find another EC that showcases what you are interested in outside of becoming a doctor. Sports? Art? Volunteer with a group that isn't a typical pre-med org?

Interfolio is great for letters if you won't need them for a while. Your profs are probably familiar with it.

Thanks ya'll.
I also applied over a year out of college.

The thing to keep in mind for LORs is whether or not your letter writers are going to write a better letter if you wait. I'll give you an example. One of my letters is written by the head of my minor department who has taught me in a few courses. I basically wanted his letter to be about what I bring to the table outside of the sciences. I currently work, and have been working, in research so waiting for a publication etc wasn't going to make that particular letter stronger. I outlined my plan exactly and asked him to write a letter after I finished my last course with him (about 2 years before my application went out). He wrote the letter at that time and held on to the file until I was actually applying, at which point it was trivial for him to send it in with the right dates etc.

On the other hand, I held off asking for one of my science LORs since I think that the additional info/accomplishments I made in my time off influenced the contents of that letter.

Edit: your ECs seem pretty ordinary. Unless you research is a major part of your application and you have invested a lot into your accomplishments there, I would try and find another EC that showcases what you are interested in outside of becoming a doctor. Sports? Art? Volunteer with a group that isn't a typical pre-med org?

That makes sense, I'll keep that in mind. As far as ECs go, I minored in German, studied in Vienna for half a year, active in German club, played ultimate frisbee, etc. I'll look into other volunteer options though.

Interfolio is great for letters if you won't need them for a while. Your profs are probably familiar with it.

I'll definitely check that out.