• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Graduated and have gone back to local college to take pre reqs...BUT MY GPA!

DoIGoOrNo

Jul 7, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all, first time poster her. I graduated from a big name university this fall with a 3.05 GPA and a BA in Psych. I was a and student largely because i never knew how to study and was just so lost on what i wanted to pursue. Long story shot, i decided to pursue medicine and hopefully enroll in a DO program. I am now taking the pre requisites at my local college and am doing well. I have gotten an A in my first course and am currently taking my second chem class (chem 2). I will also point out that my last semester at nyu i had a 3.95 gpa and the semester before i had a 3.65.

I am giving it my all right now, i plan to finish my pre reqs by next fall and aim to scribe all of next year. If i can pull of a 504+ mcat and a sGPA of 3.6-3.8 what are my chances of landing in a DO program. PS i am hispanic, i am not sure how much of a factor that plays.

dial1010usa

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
Golden State
  1. Medical Student
Make sure do the non clinical as well, like helping shelters, tutoring to little kids or even community services.
You plan is great and take MCAT after you done with all of your science pre-reqs.
As long as you do well in MCAT you should be good.
Taking pre-reqs at community college is good but I would suggest you take some upper division science classes if you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DoIGoOrNo

Jul 7, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Make sure do the non clinical as well, like helping shelters, tutoring to little kids or even community services.
You plan is great and take MCAT after to done with all of your science pre-reqs.
As long as you do well in MCAT you should be good.
Taking pre-reqs at community college is good but I would suggest you take some upper division science classes if you can.

Would it make much of a difference if i took upper level science courses? I plan on taking biochem as it is usually recommended, but i dont really have all that money and i would have already applied before enrolling in extra science courses. Do you still think it will be worth it if i take those classes (maybe 1 or 2) after i submit my apps??

Thank you for your response, i really needed to hear that !

About the Ads

paradoxic_toxic

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2019
  1. Medical Student
Would it make much of a difference if i took upper level science courses? I plan on taking biochem as it is usually recommended, but i dont really have all that money and i would have already applied before enrolling in extra science courses. Do you still think it will be worth it if i take those classes (maybe 1 or 2) after i submit my apps??

Thank you for your response, i really needed to hear that !

You'll be fine as long as you maintain that upward trend. Adcoms are looking to see if you can handle a rigorous course load, so like what @dial1010usa said, biochem and 1 (or more) upper level science would be ideal.

DoIGoOrNo

Jul 7, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
You'll be fine as long as you maintain that upward trend. Adcoms are looking to see if you can handle a rigorous course load, so like what @dial1010usa said, biochem and 1 (or more) upper level science would be ideal.

what is the ideal sGPA i should finish with to be competitive. I obviously will aim for 4.0, but there is always the chance i do bad on an exam or assignment and end with an A- or B+ in a class or two

DoIGoOrNo

Jul 7, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
For DO schools the highest cutoff for sGPA is 3.25 and the average sGPA is 3.49, so anywhere in between opens a lot of doors. Take a look at the school list in my signature for more details.

That is lower than i originally thought. But since my core GPA will be lower than my science GPA do you think that will hurt me or be in my favor?? Will i have to have a much higher sGPA to compensate?

Thanks again for answering, it is HIGHLY appreciated !

dial1010usa

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
Golden State
  1. Medical Student
The reason i suggested science upper division classes because its gonna help you in MCAT and prepare for med school. Yes, as long as it shows science classes in progress while you apply for med school its fine. It won't hurt at all because it shows how motivate are you for med schools.

DoIGoOrNo

Jul 7, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
The reason i suggested science upper division classes because its gonna help you in MCAT and prepare for med school. Yes, as long as it shows science classes in progress while you apply for med school its fine. It won't hurt at all because it shows how motivate are you for med schools.
got ya, i would mostlikely have taken the mcat before having the opportunity to take any upper level courses, but this could look real good on my apps. TY!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.