Graduated and no luck in finding a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fdsa2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a 3.85 GPA last year with a bachelors in biology/immunology. Top 4% of my class and I have been applying for jobs ever since. Most of the time I apply to jobs listed on Craigslist. These postings mainly require me to send an email with my CV and a coverletter and then they invite me for an interview. I tried the general way of applying through a companies website but haven't had any luck in landing an interview. Applying through craigslist seems to be much faster and almost every job I apply to I get an interview and then from there its either complete silence or rejection.

I'm so tired of interviews that I don't even get nervous at all. I can't judge my own interview skills but at every interview the panel seems to really appreciate me and show me their lab and say that I am strong candidate and I should hear back from them soon. Then I get an email that they found a better candidate or never hear back from them again. My CV is good and I'm assuming that's why I've been getting interviews but I'm not sure what I can do to change how my interview goes.

I'm from SF bayarea, CA and there are lots of research assistant/research associate positions open. Anyone else have any luck.

Has anyone tried temp agencies, or know of any?

I'd really appreciate anyones advice on landing a research assitant position. I'm taking a 2 year gap year and its almost been an entire year without a job after graduating. I've gone to 7 interviews and no luck.

Please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

Jeeze, I'm trying to think now of what I'd advise my son or daughter if they were in your shoes. That time is not too far off.

First, keep trying. Many people have to hit 50-100 interviews before they land a job.

Network. If you know anyone who can help in this process, utilize them. I'm thinking of your professors or any people whom you know from your EC.

Be prepared to change fields, even if temporarily.

Go to your school's career counseling center This is something very few of your peers do.

Try Monster.com.

If the state of CA has a jobs/employment database (I know the state of OH does; my sister used it), seek it out and use it.

Do not be afraid of menial work. See if labs have jobs for animal techs/cage washers or autoclaving/media prep. You can then parley this for something up the food chain, like lab tech.

Nursing homes have a huge amount of turnover.

good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
I agree with everything Goro said. I graduated with a biology degree in 2015 from a school with strong research ties, couldn't find a job to save my life. It took six months and I ended up in a field where my degree doesn't count for a thing. I sent out ~75 applications before I ended up with three job offers the same week. As I said previously, it took six months though.
If this is just a gap year job, then don't worry too much about finding something super specific. Just find something that will help you earn money and keep a roof over your head. That's what's most important.
Just keep trying! If your CV is as good as you say, a job will come along. Don't be afraid to try something a little out of the box.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not done with college yet but tried to find summer jobs/volunteering in the Bay and the (minimal) feedback I've heard from programs/internships is expect ~80 applicants/spot for bio/tech entry-level jobs. So if, after literally 100 applications, you still haven't found anything, that's when you're behind.

I think I've applies to about 30-40 application/sending CV via email. Heard back from 7 got interviews and then wasn't chosen because they found a better/stronger candidate. I guess I'll just keep applying but I will surely check out monster.com

I graduated last year and had a job before I graduated in research, here are some of my thoughts: (not trying to humble brag just trying to help with my experience)
  • In all honesty GPA is irrelevant for these jobs to a certain extent.(as long as you don't have like a 2.0) Most jobs ask for your degree not your transcript. I work at a top 3 hospital- they have no idea what my GPA is they just have a proof of graduation.
  • Don't apply on craigslist. If you want a research tech job apply to all the medical centers, colleges, medical schools in the area. Most of these jobs cycle with openings in that most people leave in the summer and most openings are available then.
  • Did you have extensive research experience during college? If you didn't thats definitely why. If you did, maybe whoever is getting the jobs has more.
  • I was told my references were the best my PI ever heard- make sure yours are good and they can speak to your abilities.
  • I also had a first author publication so that probably helped, but it was irrelevant to the research I do now so it probably doesn't matter.
If you are comfortable not having a paying job, I would possibly try to be a research volunteer for some lab at a reputable medical center etc. that does a lot of research. That'll boost your CV anymore and whoever lab you are in may know people who are hiring and therefore will help you network.

Feel free to PM me I can tell you everywhere I applied and got interviews/which places have the most jobs available (at least when I looked)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ok, so I have been one of the lucky few who have landed research jobs right out of college. Here's my tips on what employers have said to me.

They want someone with experience. They have seen my CV but what impressed them is that I held multiple research positions (mostly unpaid) while in college. They liked the idea that they wouldn't have to train someone or they didn't have to hold my hand. If you haven't had research experiences focus on what you are capable of doing. My knowledge of PCR troubleshooting surprised many employers.

Use your connections. A valuable letter of recommendation means the world to future employers. Even if it's from volunteering. Before your interview if you have someone even send an email that will make you stand out. My best letter of recommendation that got me far was from a 2 month unpaid internship.

I'm not sure how you are applying to jobs other than craigslist, but I always searched schools specifically or smaller biotech companies and applied right from their site. Even hospitals have potential research positions that might not have been found elsewhere.

Last of my thoughts. Have you applied nonlocally? I moved 14 hours for my current job which is not necessarily in a place where most might live. Now I know this is not ideal and can be a huge burden if it is just a gap year, however, from where I am now it was worth it.

You are more than welcome to PM me and ask me more information about what I did and what my CV looks like. I just didn't want all of that information out here for everyone. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that it will probably get a bit easier in a month or two as summer jobs end. Don't give up hope!

Don't give up. I know someone who graduated two years ago, and still can't find a job. Many long-term jobs specifically don't want pre-med because they know those students won't stick around for a long time. Just keep trying, and one day you will find your desired job!

Don't give up. I know someone who graduated two years ago, and still can't find a job. Many long-term jobs specifically don't want pre-med because they know those students won't stick around for a long time. Just keep trying, and one day you will find your desired job!
That's the opposite of encouraging tbh.

Reactions: 3 users
100% networking. Think back to any student org GroupMes or Facebook pages that you were involved in, post there. Go into the Berkeley student group pages, such as the class of 2017 page (or any other university in the area) and post asking if anyone has any job opportunities in their lab. Reach out to UCSF and see if they have any lab positions that offer work, even if it's completely unrelated to what you're interested in or menial work as Goro mentioned, you'll be able to work your way up if you're determined.

Keep your head up, you'll land something eventually if you keep at it.

Best of luck!!

100% networking. Think back to any student org GroupMes or Facebook pages that you were involved in, post there. Go into the Berkeley student group pages, such as the class of 2017 page (or any other university in the area) and post asking if anyone has any job opportunities in their lab.
Is it common for these FB pages allow recently graduated students from other schools to post in them? I think my school has admissions staff as admin for the closed Class of ___ groups, and they check the FB names of (incoming freshmen mostly) students when they join to make sure they're on the list of admitted students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated with a 3.85 GPA last year with a bachelors in biology/immunology. Top 4% of my class and I have been applying for jobs ever since. Most of the time I apply to jobs listed on Craigslist. These postings mainly require me to send an email with my CV and a coverletter and then they invite me for an interview. I tried the general way of applying through a companies website but haven't had any luck in landing an interview. Applying through craigslist seems to be much faster and almost every job I apply to I get an interview and then from there its either complete silence or rejection.
Make sure your CV, LORs, and public social media don't scream out that you're aiming at a career in medicine. Lots of employers don't want to hire and train someone sure to disappear in a year or two.

Make sure your CV, LORs, and public social media don't scream out that you're aiming at a career in medicine. Lots of employers don't want to hire and train someone sure to disappear in a year or two.
Oh I didn't even think about that, thank you!

CV and cold calling doesn't really work. Temp agencies can be great to get in the front door. Utilize your school career center. Check out alumni resources.

Is it common for these FB pages allow recently graduated students from other schools to post in them? I think my school has admissions staff as admin for the closed Class of ___ groups, and they check the FB names of (incoming freshmen mostly) students when they join to make sure they're on the list of admitted students.

I was suggesting that if any of the schools were his/her alma mater. If not, maybe he has friends in the area who went to either of those schools who can post for him.

It's all about networking really

tbh I was telling OP that he/she isn't alone in this situation. No discouragement intended.
Yeah, I figured it was a "you're not alone!" comment but it's also a little terrifying.

@Fdsa2495 How are you affording to live in San Francisco without working a job for close to a year? Why are you so adamant about finding a clinical research position? Have you only relied on using online applications for your job search process? When you have submitted 30-40 applications, what types of companies did you submit these applications towards and what was your reasoning behind taking this approach?

Do you know how staffing agencies handle your resume, vet your credentials, and find out which jobs are open? Assuming your finances aren't an issue, are you opposed to volunteering in a hospital or a clinical environment you are interested in working in? Are you opposed to working in a non-clinical type of employment if it meant that you could establish a good reputation to be considered for clinical employment? Would you be opposed to working in transport, food services, guest relations, environmental services, or working as a janitor?

@Fdsa2495 How are you affording to live in San Francisco without working a job for close to a year? Why are you so adamant about finding a clinical research position? Have you only relied on using online applications for your job search process? When you have submitted 30-40 applications, what types of companies did you submit these applications towards and what was your reasoning behind taking this approach?

Do you know how staffing agencies handle your resume, vet your credentials, and find out which jobs are open? Assuming your finances aren't an issue, are you opposed to volunteering in a hospital or a clinical environment you are interested in working in? Are you opposed to working in a non-clinical type of employment if it meant that you could establish a good reputation to be considered for clinical employment? Would you be opposed to working in transport, food services, guest relations, environmental services, or working as a janitor?

I'm living with some friends right now and my parents are still helping me but that needs to change and hence the reason I've been looking for a job. I want a stable job so I afford living on my own without asking my parents every month.
I'd like to have a research assistant position so I can gain more experiences (I have some form undergraduate research lab) in research before I apply to Med school. I have been applying only online and mainly through ads on craigslist (small biotech companies).

Also, I currently have a job at a small local hospital as a scribe but its part-time and not paying enough to help me afford living on my own and I end up asking my parents each month to help me.

@Fdsa2495 This issue is a lot more complex than initially presented.

First, asking money from your parents when you are just starting out shouldn't have a negative stimulus attached when you are living in one of the expensive areas in the United States.

Second, it is very hard to find a marriage point where you can resolve all three issues at the same time: full-time hours, adequate pay, and a research assistant position. If you can triage those three concerns in order of most important to least important it will give you professional clarity on how you are going to digest the remaining gap year.

Finally, I want to post another question which is whether you are applying to pharma/biotech start-up companies. If I'm not mistaken, your general area is the poster board for start up companies to gain initial funding to start off their business. Starts up are notorious for folding, but you would at least be able to list a set of lab skills within a professional working capacity.

The only problem is that in such new ecosystems you will get the title you want, but will likely wear more hats than you initially bargained. This approach also comes down to a personal professional question on whether you are solely intrinsically motivated in gaining CRA experience because you feel the experience is invaluable or whether there are extrinsic motivators in which you would benefit from having CRA as a listed experience.

For instance, it is well known on the boards that attending medical school in California is very difficult and students try to fill as many boxes as possible to be as competitive as possible when it comes for admission. If you are angling for a CRA position to punch in for laboratory experience, then it is likely that you are swimming in an ecosystem with other California gap-year students who are also saturating the system. This compounded with San Francisco providing one of the highest minimum wages in the United States means that labs when selecting candidates have both competitive and noncompetitive inhibitory factors to think about when hiring new graduates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
@Fdsa2495

Have you considered alternatives like NIH IRTA or similar programs? probably going to be more receptive to a short term position.

Also, I don't know a ton about small biotech startups and I could be way off but I would think that they would want known entitities (ie more than entry level experiences and skillsets) and people who will grow with and help build the company not someone for just a year or two.

i think universities and hospitlas are going to be more fruitful for you.

good luck. the competition out there sounds insane compared to around my area.

@Fdsa2495

Have you considered alternatives like NIH IRTA or similar programs? probably going to be more receptive to a short term position.

Also, I don't know a ton about small biotech startups and I could be way off but I would think that they would want known entitities (ie more than entry level experiences and skillsets) and people who will grow with and help build the company not someone for just a year or two.

i think universities and hospitlas are going to be more fruitful for you.

good luck. the competition out there sounds insane compared to around my area.

What is NIH IRTA? I googled it and seems like a post-bacc program? Are there research oppurtunities or stipends in post-bacc?
I thought post-bacc was taking undergraduate classes after you graduate

@Fdsa2495 This issue is a lot more complex than initially presented.

First, asking money from your parents when you are just starting out shouldn't have a negative stimulus attached when you are living in one of the expensive areas in the United States.

Second, it is very hard to find a marriage point where you can resolve all three issues at the same time: full-time hours, adequate pay, and a research assistant position. If you can triage those three concerns in order of most important to least important it will give you professional clarity on how you are going to digest the remaining gap year.

Finally, I want to post another question which is whether you are applying to pharma/biotech start-up companies. If I'm not mistaken, your general area is the poster board for start up companies to gain initial funding to start off their business. Starts up are notorious for folding, but you would at least be able to list a set of lab skills within a professional working capacity.

The only problem is that in such new ecosystems you will get the title you want, but will likely wear more hats than you initially bargained. This approach also comes down to a personal professional question on whether you are solely intrinsically motivated in gaining CRA experience because you feel the experience is invaluable or whether there are extrinsic motivators in which you would benefit from having CRA as a listed experience.

For instance, it is well known on the boards that attending medical school in California is very difficult and students try to fill as many boxes as possible to be as competitive as possible when it comes for admission. If you are angling for a CRA position to punch in for laboratory experience, then it is likely that you are swimming in an ecosystem with other California gap-year students who are also saturating the system. This compounded with San Francisco providing one of the highest minimum wages in the United States means that labs when selecting candidates have both competitive and noncompetitive inhibitory factors to think about when hiring new graduates.

I've been applying to small biotech companies not startup and I've gotten some interviews but most of the time they just never get back or like you said they have other more competitive candidates

What is NIH IRTA? I googled it and seems like a post-bacc program? Are there research oppurtunities or stipends in post-bacc?
IRTA is called a post-bacc because you do it after getting your Bachelor's, in contrast to the SIP, the other big NIH internship program. And like a post-bacc, many (probably most) people in IRTA are doing it to improve their application to grad or med school. You get a stipend (I believe around 30k/year) and do research in an NIH lab for one or two years (most PIs prefer two because you have more time to be productive after training).

I believe they recommend applying about 9 months before you plan to start your post bacc. It's not really a short term employment solution.

post bacc simply refers to anything you do after your bachelors. In the case of the NIH IRTA it's a post bachelor's research training program that allows students considering MD or PhD or other similar programs to do one or two years of biomedical research at the NIH. It is competitive and there is a stipend for it.

There are other similar programs around if you're willing to move at different universities and some good ones for people under respresented in research as well. Just get on google or look more on here.

Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award (Postbac IRTA/CRTA) - Training Programs in the Biomedical Sciences - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health

Program Description: The NIH Postbac IRTA program (CRTA, Cancer Research Training Award, in the National Cancer Institute) provides recent college graduates who are planning to apply to graduate or professional (medical/dental/pharmacy/nursing/veterinary, etc.) school an opportunity to spend one or two years performing full-time research at the NIH. Postbac IRTAs/CRTAs work side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research.

post bacc simply refers to anything you do after your bachelors. In the case of the NIH IRTA it's a post bachelor's research training program that allows students considering MD or PhD or other similar programs to do one or two years of biomedical research at the NIH. It is competitive and there is a stipend for it.

There are other similar programs around if you're willing to move at different universities and some good ones for people under respresented in research as well. Just get on google or look more on here.

Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award (Postbac IRTA/CRTA) - Training Programs in the Biomedical Sciences - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health

Program Description: The NIH Postbac IRTA program (CRTA, Cancer Research Training Award, in the National Cancer Institute) provides recent college graduates who are planning to apply to graduate or professional (medical/dental/pharmacy/nursing/veterinary, etc.) school an opportunity to spend one or two years performing full-time research at the NIH. Postbac IRTAs/CRTAs work side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research.

WOW! I wish I knew about all of this before or wish my PI had told me about this.... I could possibly try for the 2nd gap year.
Thank you for sharing this information

I'm so tired of interviews that I don't even get nervous at all. I can't judge my own interview skills but at every interview the panel seems to really appreciate me and show me their lab and say that I am strong candidate and I should hear back from them soon. Then I get an email that they found a better candidate or never hear back from them again. My CV is good and I'm assuming that's why I've been getting interviews but I'm not sure what I can do to change how my interview goes.

I'm from SF bayarea, CA and there are lots of research assistant/research associate positions open. Anyone else have any luck.

Has anyone tried temp agencies, or know of any?

I'd really appreciate anyones advice on landing a research assitant position. I'm taking a 2 year gap year and its almost been an entire year without a job after graduating. I've gone to 7 interviews and no luck.

Please help me!
Craigslist? Are you kidding me? Use a legit site like Indeed or Monster at the very least. If you're in a major academic area, search college job listings, most colleges have their own career database. Finally, keep your mind open and apply for other positions while you are searching for a research assistant position. A job is better than no job, always and forever.

Also maybe try and get a "normal" job if you don't have one in the meantime just to have some income, even if its not a lot its still something

Craigslist? Are you kidding me? Use a legit site like Indeed or Monster at the very least. If you're in a major academic area, search college job listings, most colleges have their own career database. Finally, keep your mind open and apply for other positions while you are searching for a research assistant position. A job is better than no job, always and forever.
I know Craigslist doesn't seem to be legit but you'd be surprised as to how many job listings are only listed there. And ofcourse once I see the ad I go to the website and apply too. I find UCSF and Stanford positions all on Craigslist and these ads are by MD/PhD doctors.
But yes I have started to look through Monster.com instead

Also maybe try and get a "normal" job if you don't have one in the meantime just to have some income, even if its not a lot its still something

I have a per diem scribe job only work once or twice week and don't get paid much

I know Craigslist doesn't seem to be legit but you'd be surprised as to how many job listings are only listed there. And ofcourse once I see the ad I go to the website and apply too. I find UCSF and Stanford positions all on Craigslist and these ads are by MD/PhD doctors.
But yes I have started to look through Monster.com instead
Indeed is also great- it's a job aggregator, so it takes jobs from multiple sites (such as Monster etc) and puts them in a Google-like search engine.