Graduated B.S. (3.0) with TERRIBLE final year. CC for dental pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnabe1me

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
where do you live?

can you obtain green card through marriage? wink wink because dental school take few international students and they must have higher stat than the normal pool. can your family have 300k$ up front to pay because no loan for international.

you should take pre req at 4 year university. no community college please. this should take you 2-3 years. are you up for it?
1st year: gen chem and bio
2nd year: ochem
and bio
3rd year: physics? upper div bio

i know it is illegal but fake marriage is probably the best way to gain citizenship because you will qualify for loan, no dental school discrimination, and can practice in Us

plus this will take the financial stress factor off your shoulder.

im pretty sure u arent from canada from ur post. if you are, this doesnt apply

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
where do you live?

can you obtain green card through marriage? wink wink because dental school take few international students and they must have higher stat than the normal pool. can your family have 300k$ up front to pay because no loan for international.

you should take pre req at 4 year university. no community college please. this should take you 2-3 years. are you up for it?
1st year: gen chem and bio
2nd year: ochem
and bio
3rd year: physics? upper div bio

Thank you darknightzzz for your reply!

1. I could obtain a green card through marriage, but I won't. I believe in integrity (academic or not), and I want to get married only once and out of love and trust. I do not consider this as an option.
2. My family will not be able to fish up the cost, but I believe that I can get a loan in my home country.
3. I am ready to do 2-3 years! :) (simba rawr!) I am currently working to fund my pre-dental education. The reason I am thinking CC is because it is much more affordable :: I will be able to start studying much sooner.

Further questions:
- Would one suggest doing extracurriculars during this 2-3 years? I am split between [only studying vs. adding extras] although I am certain that the heavier focus should be on academics.
- You mentioned the need for higher stats: What gpa/stats should I be aiming for?

Thank you, and any further contributions by anybody is very welcome.

You can finish all prerequisites in one year if you work hard. I did it...

Having a low GPA from a 4 year school then taking your pre-reqs at a CC would be severely frowned upon by admissions people. Take those pre-reqs at a 4 year college.

You can finish all prerequisites in one year if you work hard. I did it...

Thank you for the advice!

It's great to hear that it's possible to complete all the pre-reqs at such short a time! Personally, I think it would be better for me to take things slow (2 years maybe) to swallow the material well according to my pace. I will be new into the field, so I want to make sure that I get the grades + the solid science background :)

Having a low GPA from a 4 year school then taking your pre-reqs at a CC would be severely frowned upon by admissions people. Take those pre-reqs at a 4 year college.

Thank you ajj70!
My plummeted grades really are a big concern for me, and you hit the spot. 4 year seems to be the right way to go.

Any other advice by anyone is very appreciated!
Weighing my chances/ suggesting alternate routes (post-bacc, ma...) etc are very welcome! :)

Thank you for the advice!

It's great to hear that it's possible to complete all the pre-reqs at such short a time! Personally, I think it would be better for me to take things slow (2 years maybe) to swallow the material well according to my pace. I will be new into the field, so I want to make sure that I get the grades + the solid science background :)

I agree with everyone else that you should probably take your prereqs at a four year college because some dental schools do not accept prereqs from cc. I would suggest having academics be your main priority but if you can also shadow and gain experience in dentistry. Many dental schools have a minimum number of shadowing hours, some even want a minimum of 100 hours. In addition these experiences are great to write about in your personal statement to show your interest in dentistry. I would also focus on scoring well on the DAT. If you have a high DAT it will help offset your grades. My final suggestion is to research which dental schools you are interested in and know what their prereqs are in terms of classes, LORS, shadowing hours, etc. This way you know what you need and can schedule your classes/activities accordingly.
Best of luck!

I agree with everyone else that you should probably take your prereqs at a four year college because some dental schools do not accept prereqs from cc. I would suggest having academics be your main priority but if you can also shadow and gain experience in dentistry. Many dental schools have a minimum number of shadowing hours, some even want a minimum of 100 hours. In addition these experiences are great to write about in your personal statement to show your interest in dentistry. I would also focus on scoring well on the DAT. If you have a high DAT it will help offset your grades. My final suggestion is to research which dental schools you are interested in and know what their prereqs are in terms of classes, LORS, shadowing hours, etc. This way you know what you need and can schedule your classes/activities accordingly.
Best of luck!

Thank you ShineeTeeth!

-4-year university (pre-reqs)
-get shadowing & dental experience
-excel the DAT
-research about the schools

That's great advice, and I will keep it in mind. Do you think I would need to pursue a MA course too before applying to DS? Or would improving my undergrad GPA suffice?

bump!

Just currently stressed out on finding an affordable 4 year university (international student btw)...which seems almost impossible. It's going to take much longer until I can fund 2 years of 4-Y college, and the DAT exam, application fees etc. Gloom :'(...but if there is a will, there is a way. I will keep my goal in mind, work hard, and pray. Cheers to everybody who is already studying towards their goals! :) Hope to be where y'all are soon :)