graduated, NOW I realize I want to go to Med school. advise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huxtable

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A Litte Background:
I'm an '08 grad who has...
  • not taken the MCATs (didn't think I wanted to go to med school until now!)
  • completed all med-school pre-reqs
  • 1390 on GREs,5.5 writing
  • a very impressive extracurricular involvement and service record
  • 3.25 overall GPA in a liberal arts honors program
  • 3.0 science GPA - my main downfalls were second semester calc-based physics and biochemistry (I blew them big time but did ok-to-well in everything else)
  • over a year of undergrad research including some well respected labs (I thought I was going to take a year off and go to grad school for molecular research)
  • (is) currently working at Ohio States Comprehensive Cancer Center as a research assistant.
  • just realized that she wants to go to med school!
What I want:
1) I want my MD (no offense to the DO track)
2) A strong path to Med school. I don't mind a few years as long as I get meaningful and respectable degree(s) out of them. I do love learning!
3) If possible I want my education to allow me to speak with some authority on health/science/research policy/ethics in the far future, possibly in the realm of government and non-profit. I got policy in my veins in student government and would love to fuse it with medicine in the future.

Questions:
1) What respected SMPs don't require MCAT for admission? And am I at a disadvantage submitting my GRE scores? (I'm open to taking the subject-based GREs)
2) Would I do just as well getting my MPH before applying to med school? Are there programs that allow you to take courses in both?
3)This is a long-shot. Could I just re-take my bad courses and apply to medschools myself? Or do I need the guidance of a program to get my application materials together for the first time?

Members don't see this ad.

"1) What respected SMPs don't require MCAT for admission? And am I at a disadvantage submitting my GRE scores? (I'm open to taking the subject-based GREs)

I'm pretty sure none? Since you claim you don't mind taking a year or two before applying, why not start studying and take them? Oftentimes it can offset some poorer science grades because it shows that you did grasp the material (not by a whole lot though). It's some sort of standardisation among all the colleges. I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with submitting GRE scores, but they need to be accompanied by MCAT scores.

2) Would I do just as well getting my MPH before applying to med school? Are there programs that allow you to take courses in both?

You can do both at the same time, but you might as well get started on your MPH while you are waiting to be ready to apply.

3)This is a long-shot. Could I just re-take my bad courses and apply to medschools myself? Or do I need the guidance of a program to get my application materials together for the first time?

Many people apply to medical school by themselves. Retaking bad courses will not replace your poor grades on the transcript, but it will help you learn the material correctly and will average into your GPA. It takes a lot of research to find schools that you're compatibile with and figure out how to satisfy all their requirements, but it is often done.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MPH is not going to help you on med school admissions. This is NOT the way to go for you.

Your undergrad cumulative and science GPAs are too low...you either need to take additional undergrad courses to raise your GPA, or you need to enroll in an SMP which is a high risk maneuver (do very well and you might get in med school, but do sub par and med school is highly unlikely).

If you decide to do the post bacc route, do the math - do a spreadsheet - and calculate how many additional hours you need to take to raise your GPA to a respectable level - it is usually a lot more than most people realize - and you really need to make nothing but As in this course work, because "2 steps forward / 1 step backwards" is not going to help you.

SMPs require the MCAT...SMPs are remedial programs for people who have done all the pre-reqs but have sub par grades with a decent to strong MCAT score...personally, I would look for an SMP with linkages to med schools - that is going to be your best shot...

You should buckle down and take the MCAT ASAP - allow plenty of prep time - maybe take a prep review class - if you start right now, you could take it in April '09 - with a strong MCAT score in hand (balanced 10s or better), you will be a good candidate for an SMP starting a year from now...and maybe starting med school in 2010...that would be the earliest conceivable start date for you, and the reality is you are probably looking at 2011 or later for a realistic start date...

However, be aware that SMPs have been increasing the minimum GPA they will accept - yours is pretty low, even for an SMP - there are lots of people in SMPs with UG GPAs in the 3.3 to 3.5 range - so you might need to do some post bacc work to at least raise your GPA a little even before getting into an SMP...

Thanks for the responses! That helps a lot. I'll be looking into your suggestions and let you know how it goes!

Best,
Hux