graduated. Took the MCATS. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alan aragoneon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated yesterday with my BS in Biology. Just took the MCAT as well, and I'm looking at applying for the next cycle. My question is, now what? I see most schools request that you begin your primary apps in October, so what should I do between now and (hopefully)my first year at med school 400 something days from now? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated yesterday with my BS in Biology. Just took the MCAT as well, and I'm looking at applying for the next cycle. My question is, now what? I see most schools request that you begin your primary apps in October, so what should I do between now and (hopefully)my first year at med school 400 something days from now? Thanks in advance.

It depends a lot on your grades and MCAT score. I know I had to do a post-bacc. If you don't need to retake anything, then working/volunteering, etc. might be a good idea.

Don NOT wait until October to start your primaries! You are in the position that I would have been if I'd never found SDN. :eek:

Seriously, you need to get moving on things now, in order to get your app in this summer.

Do you have your LOR's? If not, start contacting professors to get them done.

Access the AMCAS website. Get your materials together so that you can start filling in the application.

Write a bang up personal statement to go with it & get others to give you editing input.

Every now & then, panic. You won't be normal if you don't. ;)

Remember that there is no "S" on MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
400-something days from now means you'd like to start Fall 2009? You'll have to apply this year, starting when AMCAS opens in June. If you don't know about AMCAS, I'm guessing you're probably not ready to apply this cycle.

edit: see above.

It depends a lot on your grades and MCAT score. I know I had to do a post-bacc. If you don't need to retake anything, then working/volunteering, etc. might be a good idea.
Well, I got a reasonable 32 mcat and I have a cum 3.59GPA. So I think I'm at least in the ballpark for some MD programs. I guess just keep volunteering at the hospital and what not?
Don NOT wait until October to start your primaries! You are in the position that I would have been if I'd never found SDN. :eek:

Seriously, you need to get moving on things now, in order to get your app in this summer.

Do you have your LOR's? If not, start contacting professors to get them done.

Access the AMCAS website. Get your materials together so that you can start filling in the application.

Write a bang up personal statement to go with it & get others to give you editing input.

Every now & then, panic. You won't be normal if you don't. ;)

Remember that there is no "S" on MCAT.
Wow...I'm surfing the amcas website, and I'm thrilled I created an account and asked this question. I can't believe how far in advance this stuff must be in. I'm applying to med schools in which I'd start over a year from now, and already I've got to get my apps in. Insanity.
400-something days from now means you'd like to start Fall 2009? You'll have to apply this year, starting when AMCAS opens in June. If you don't know about AMCAS, I'm guessing you're probably not ready to apply this cycle.

edit: see above.
Yep, fall 2009 is when I wish to start.

Wow...I'm surfing the amcas website, and I'm thrilled I created an account and asked this question. I can't believe how far in advance this stuff must be in. I'm applying to med schools in which I'd start over a year from now, and already I've got to get my apps in. Insanity.

Looks like you're on the right track now. ;)

Get your recs together and find out if you have to get a committee letter from your school Pre-Med/Health Professions/Pre-Professional advisory program.

If you apply early and broadly, you have a good chance... but you have to bust your butt to get everything together!

I'm in the same situation! I also, strangely enough, got a 32 on my MCAT and will be applying for fall 09. I'm working in a research lab currently, but I'm thinking about going through EMT training and doing that for my time off. I wanted to do something that would boost my application. What else looks good?

I'm in the same situation! I also, strangely enough, got a 32 on my MCAT and will be applying for fall 09. I'm working in a research lab currently, but I'm thinking about going through EMT training and doing that for my time off. I wanted to do something that would boost my application. What else looks good?

Anything you start now will help you only through updating schools during the year, or as a reapplicant later. The MOST important thing to do is to start getting your application together, if you haven't already.