Graduated with a low GPA what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

givemealltheadvice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I would really appreciate some advice.
So, I have just graduated a 4 year life science program with a very low gpa (2.3), but my gpa is not indicative of my abilities as I put very minimal effort into school. I realized late in university that I want to go to optometry (fourth year) and I have since started shadowing as optometrist. I want to write my OAT this summer but as I continue to do more research I have realized how important a high GPA is. What can I do?
Should I go back to school and take more courses to raise my GPA?
Should I try and apply for a masters?
Your brutal honesty would be much appreciated
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not certain of this but a 2.3 gpa is just too low for any school. You should probably evaluate your pre requisite classes and retake any that are low. You should also contact the admissions office of the schools you are interested and have counseling from them as well.
It would probably be helpful to either do a post bachelor program or a masters program.

I'm not certain of this but a 2.3 gpa is just too low for any school. You should probably evaluate your pre requisite classes and retake any that are low. You should also contact the admissions office of the schools you are interested and have counseling from them as well.
It would probably be helpful to either do a post bachelor program or a masters program.
what exactly is a post bachelor program i have never heard of it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone I would really appreciate some advice.
So, I have just graduated a 4 year life science program with a very low gpa (2.3), but my gpa is not indicative of my abilities as I put very minimal effort into school. I realized late in university that I want to go to optometry (fourth year) and I have since started shadowing as optometrist. I want to write my OAT this summer but as I continue to do more research I have realized how important a high GPA is. What can I do?
Should I go back to school and take more courses to raise my GPA?
Should I try and apply for a masters?
Your brutal honesty would be much appreciated
Thank you.

Hey I was in your position when I graduated from undergrad in 2013. I'm currently a first year in OD school. DM me!