This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpiano29

Reaction score
Hello,

First time writing on this forum so excuse me if there's any style of writing that might be novel or different.
I applied to medical schools in two previous cycles already and did not get into any MD schools that I applied to unfortunately. I'd like the idea of getting into medical school now, but this year I just took a break from the whole application process because it was so discouraging to keep applying to so many schools and get rejection letters over and over again (plus it gets pretty expensive to keep on applying if I can only expect rejections for a time). What I'm trying to figure out now, aside from the idea of going to graduate school, is if there's any way for me to still get into medical school at all.

I graduated from the University of Florida in May 2017 with a degree of Bachelor of Music, I had an overall GPA of a 3.80 and a sGPA around 3.53-3.57 depending on what you might have considered my science courses. I was a Music major with a pre-medical track and I took over 130 credits for my degree (including some classes that were 0 credits but still took up a lot of travel time and attendance time, i.e. recital attendance!). So yeah, I took all of the required science courses for the MCAT and for med school applications, I took the MCAT and got a 511 the second time after getting a 499 the first time. I had a lot of EC's and maybe over 200 volunteer hours by the end of my senior year plus 100 shadowing hours (140 by now) but I wasn't part of AMSA or any large pre-health groups like that (I preferred to be part of smaller pre-health groups to get to know people in the group more).

I applied to UF (University of Florida), UCF, FSU, FIU, NSU, Morehouse, UMiami, FAU, Geisinger, Central Michigan University, Eastern Virginia University, Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Maryland, University of South Carolina (Greenville and the main one), Meharry Medical College, Emory, Quinnipiac, University of Alabama, University of South Alabama, and another medical school in California like California Northeast University I believe. I based my chances of getting in on my location, where I've lived, my MCAT score, and my GPA. I guess I just didn't realize that it's much harder to get into an MD program than it seems. I applied to these schools from 2016 to 2018 during two different cycles, some schools twice and some for the first time during both cycles. I got interviews from three of these schools but still didn't get in unfortunately.

Right now, I have been working as an administrative assistant at North Florida Pediatrics in Lake City, Florida helping with any front desk duties and tasks or any office duties as well. I did have about 1.5 years of research experience before although it didn't cumulate into any publications (I did write a report or two though, just didn't publish them).

What would anyone suggest I do? I haven't totally given up on the idea of getting into medical school but the process had made me unsure overall. Don't get me wrong, I totally love music too and it's a big passion in my life. But I really do think that getting opinions in a forum like this wouldn't be a bad way of getting some public insight.

Members don't see this ad.

For starters, you need a better school list. I'm wagering that you're not an URM, and as such, Morehouse and Meharry were donations.

As were:
Geisinger, Central Michigan University, University of Maryland, University of South Carolina (Greenville and the main one), Emory, University of Alabama, University of South Alabama.

CNU idd you a favor by rejecting you. You don't' want to go there.

What exactly were your 200 hrs of volunteering?

The next thing you need to do is rewrite all your essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.

No more shadowing!

Ask your state schools for feedback on your rejections once the cycle is over.

Next cycle, you need DO schools on the list. You're a 2x MCAT taker with a median score of ~505, and a sGPA that is < avg.

I suggest:
Wake
GWU
Gtown
MCW
Creighton
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Oakland U Beaumont
Rosy Franklin
SLU
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
VCU
WVU
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Reactions: 1 user
I was part of Arts in Medicine (I played piano at the hospitals), I volunteered as a student volunteer at the UF Health Children's Surgical Center, UF Center for Movement Disorders and Neurorestoration, UF Health OR/Anesthesia Workroom, UF Health Al'z Place for Alzheimers, North Florida Pediatrics volunteer receptionist, Veterans Affairs Hospital Gainesville, and other various volunteer opportunities with the UF School of Music in non-clinical volunteer hours as well as with EC groups like UF Health Educated Asian Leaders and UF MedLife.

For starters, you need a better school list. I'm wagering that you're not an URM, and as such, Morehouse and Meharry were donations.

As were:
Geisinger, Central Michigan University, University of Maryland, University of South Carolina (Greenville and the main one), Emory, University of Alabama, University of South Alabama.

CNU idd you a favor by rejecting you. You don't' want to go there.

What exactly were your 200 hrs of volunteering?

The next thing you need to do is rewrite all your essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.

No more shadowing!

Ask your state schools for feedback on your rejections once the cycle is over.

Next cycle, you need DO schools on the list. You're a 2x MCAT taker with a median score of ~505, and a sGPA that is < avg.

I suggest:
Wake
GWU
Gtown
MCW
Creighton
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Oakland U Beaumont
Rosy Franklin
SLU
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
VCU
WVU
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.