Graduated with no research experience - options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterParker20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys--

I made a post about being unsure about pursuing a PhD in psychology and becoming a psychologist before - but, I have been thinking about this path for the past few years, but I guess I always had doubts about my own abilities and preparedness for grad school.

Anyway, I just graduated with a 3.8 from a very well respected private university (though I hear the 'name' of the school propably doesn't matter much in applications?) in psychology and political science, and I am confident that I can achieve an excellent GRE score (I usually rock standardized tests, slammed the SATs and ACT, consider myself pretty intelligent).

Anyway, I never really considered grad school very seriously (well, I though about it at the end of junior year, but thought I was too far behind already, ironically enough).

But I keep going back to psychology, and I am very interested in continuing my studies in the field, either as a researcher or clinician/ therapist.

I have a few problems/ questions, though.

1. Of course, I have pretty much no research experience, which is the most important factor truly, I know. I would like to get some. Should I just take the first convenient, paying research assistant position I can find/ that offers me the job? I already dug up several, and one is about functonal mRI, neurobiology, and human decision-making. It sounds interesting enough, but that brings me to...

2. I have lots of interests in the field of psychology, but they are not developed nor focused right now. Hell, I've taken over a dozen psyc courses. I'm very intrested in I/O psychology, career/vocational stuff, minority and gender discrimination, neuropsychology and psychopathology, addictions with drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, evolutionary psyc --- hey, you get the idea. I've done two semester-long research projects (both were for class though) -- one was on cigars, their marketing, social influence, psychophysiological effects, and I enjoyed the process immensely. The other was on stereotype threat (and I saw Claude Steele, the originator, at my bro's graduation - very cool).

My question is: do you think the subject of an RA job is very relevant to my future path? I'm thinking maybe I should just start doing research in some area that is interesting, and maybe read further/ dig into/ go back over what has interested me over the last few years - pour over more journal articles, etc., and develop my interests from there WHILE already working a full-time research position job.

However, I have a feeling my 'narrative' or personal statement explaining why I'm interested in the field/ topic when it comes application time might seem weak - i.e. instead of studying autism because of experience at a summer camp/ sibling, or studying addiction/ PTSD because of a profound personal experience, etc. Of course, maybe that can be remedied by excellent writing skills and personal reflection.

And finally 3. I am close with a few professors at my university. Unfortunately, none of them are in psychology. I mean, one of them is a Russian prof, heh. I obviously need rec letters from people who know my work in psychology. What can I do here? Should I just get letters from the people I work under in research positions?

Any thoughts would be great --- and I'm wondering if I should be doing any clinical shadowing as well, just to see what it is like (or is that not possible?)

I'm obviously not very sure of myself at this point (I kept waiting for some sort of career epiphany during undergrad, but I guess that's not how it works) --- but any advice/ thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking that full-time research experience or clinical experience can at least give me a taste/ better picture of a psychologists actual work and lifestyle (though my own image of the profession is already quite high, this is just based on my imagination). At the very least, it can at least stop me from philosophizing so much at home and give me some experience for a year or two. Any thoughts, anyone? Has anyone had a similar experience after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Taking a paid RA job seems like a good option. Sure, it may not give you experience in an area you end up pursuing in terms of research, but many many applicants to grad programs are in the same boat, so that's not going to set you back.

Secondly, you may want to consider a general masters program. A program like that would give you more options for research, get you working closely with a variety of profs, and you'd get to design your own masters project. However, this option does lock you into the field a bit. You'll be in the company of people who are gunning for spots in Ph.D. programs and although you'll be gaining good experience for this route, you won't be competitive in the job market itself with only that degree (unless you decide you want to be an RA for a career). If you do decide to go this route, I recommend only applying for funded programs that will give you a stipend so you won't go into debt while you pursue the degree.

Hope that helps.

Hey guys--

I made a post about being unsure about pursuing a PhD in psychology and becoming a psychologist before - but, I have been thinking about this path for the past few years, but I guess I always had doubts about my own abilities and preparedness for grad school.

Anyway, I just graduated with a 3.8 from a very well respected private university (though I hear the 'name' of the school propably doesn't matter much in applications?) in psychology and political science, and I am confident that I can achieve an excellent GRE score (I usually rock standardized tests, slammed the SATs and ACT, consider myself pretty intelligent).

Anyway, I never really considered grad school very seriously (well, I though about it at the end of junior year, but thought I was too far behind already, ironically enough).

But I keep going back to psychology, and I am very interested in continuing my studies in the field, either as a researcher or clinician/ therapist.

I have a few problems/ questions, though.

1. Of course, I have pretty much no research experience, which is the most important factor truly, I know. I would like to get some. Should I just take the first convenient, paying research assistant position I can find/ that offers me the job? I already dug up several, and one is about functonal mRI, neurobiology, and human decision-making. It sounds interesting enough, but that brings me to...

2. I have lots of interests in the field of psychology, but they are not developed nor focused right now. Hell, I've taken over a dozen psyc courses. I'm very intrested in I/O psychology, career/vocational stuff, minority and gender discrimination, neuropsychology and psychopathology, addictions with drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, evolutionary psyc --- hey, you get the idea. I've done two semester-long research projects (both were for class though) -- one was on cigars, their marketing, social influence, psychophysiological effects, and I enjoyed the process immensely. The other was on stereotype threat (and I saw Claude Steele, the originator, at my bro's graduation - very cool).

My question is: do you think the subject of an RA job is very relevant to my future path? I'm thinking maybe I should just start doing research in some area that is interesting, and maybe read further/ dig into/ go back over what has interested me over the last few years - pour over more journal articles, etc., and develop my interests from there WHILE already working a full-time research position job.

However, I have a feeling my 'narrative' or personal statement explaining why I'm interested in the field/ topic when it comes application time might seem weak - i.e. instead of studying autism because of experience at a summer camp/ sibling, or studying addiction/ PTSD because of a profound personal experience, etc. Of course, maybe that can be remedied by excellent writing skills and personal reflection.

And finally 3. I am close with a few professors at my university. Unfortunately, none of them are in psychology. I mean, one of them is a Russian prof, heh. I obviously need rec letters from people who know my work in psychology. What can I do here? Should I just get letters from the people I work under in research positions?

Any thoughts would be great --- and I'm wondering if I should be doing any clinical shadowing as well, just to see what it is like (or is that not possible?)

I'm obviously not very sure of myself at this point (I kept waiting for some sort of career epiphany during undergrad, but I guess that's not how it works) --- but any advice/ thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking that full-time research experience or clinical experience can at least give me a taste/ better picture of a psychologists actual work and lifestyle (though my own image of the profession is already quite high, this is just based on my imagination). At the very least, it can at least stop me from philosophizing so much at home and give me some experience for a year or two. Any thoughts, anyone? Has anyone had a similar experience after graduation?

Hey Peter,

I am glad to hear you have a better idea of what you might want to do and chose psychology to major in for your master's. I suggest you call the school you graduated from and see if they have any resources in heping you find a paid or unpaid internship. I also suggest to call up some former psychology professors you had some good contact with and pick their brains and perhaps meet with them to discuss it further.

Going for a Master's first can get you opportunities for some internships, supervised training in the respective school, advice on where to get additional training, and of course to get letters of recommendation.

Of course take the GRE as you mentioned, and prior to attending a Phd program perhaps you might want to re-enroll in a local school program that provides strong mentoring and training.

My path was a little different, but I did go for lots of excellent training both in my senior year as an undergrad and all through my master's work. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are my thoughts about going for a Masters in psychology, rather than going the full time research position route.

First, I'm aware that an MA in psychology does not really provide much career opportunity as far as in the field of psychology. It may open some doors, but not the ones I'm looking for. Hence, the only point in going the MA route would be 1. to give me the research experience/ rec letters to get into a PhD program and 2. maybe expose me to the research/ practice area of psychology

The advantages of the full time RA route would be: get paid money (though not much) instead of spending money - though I guess I maybe be able to find a funded program.

Also, it is too late to apply for master's program beginning this fall I assume - hence I have a year gap anyway that needs to be filled. I don't know. Obtaining a research position seems like a better idea to me at the moment --- on the other hand, going into a Master's might get me into contact with more psychologists and research areas. The fact that a Master's is two years and I can't start this fall just seems like a step back.

I could talk to psyc professors at my school - but I don't know. I'm graduated and moved back home now - they may be able to help me connect somewhere, but I can also find RA positions myself. I suppose they can give me some helpful advice.

There may be some master’s programs that allow for Spring 2011 enrollment so that could be an option for you.

Getting into a master’s program will show the adcoms that you are serious about graduate school, that you are capable of handling graduate coursework (if you do well), and – if you get good letters –that you are a competent student and researcher. You can get good LORs from a supervisor if you have an RA position too, but the advantage of going to a master’s program is, like you said, that you can make contacts in the field in addition to getting good letters.

I think it is important to understand the possibility of entering into an experimental/theoretical master’s program and then not being accepted into a doctoral program later. Would you be content with being limited in your career (generally speaking) to only the experimental side of psychology or would you regret not having the ability to do clinical work? What are your career goals?

My only advice is that you narrow your interests (specifically, your research interests) much farther before applying to any doctoral programs. Whether or not you do this by time, life experience, volunteer work, readings, etc....it is really important. As someone who went into grad school right after undergrad, I had no real idea of what I wanted to study. Some people are more focused right away. If you're not (and it seems you still have lots of awesome interests), then I recommend you take the time to find out what you're passionate about.

Here are my thoughts about going for a Masters in psychology, rather than going the full time research position route.

First, I'm aware that an MA in psychology does not really provide much career opportunity as far as in the field of psychology. It may open some doors, but not the ones I'm looking for. Hence, the only point in going the MA route would be 1. to give me the research experience/ rec letters to get into a PhD program and 2. maybe expose me to the research/ practice area of psychology

The advantages of the full time RA route would be: get paid money (though not much) instead of spending money - though I guess I maybe be able to find a funded program.

Also, it is too late to apply for master's program beginning this fall I assume - hence I have a year gap anyway that needs to be filled. I don't know. Obtaining a research position seems like a better idea to me at the moment --- on the other hand, going into a Master's might get me into contact with more psychologists and research areas. The fact that a Master's is two years and I can't start this fall just seems like a step back.

I could talk to psyc professors at my school - but I don't know. I'm graduated and moved back home now - they may be able to help me connect somewhere, but I can also find RA positions myself. I suppose they can give me some helpful advice.

That is a great overgeneralization. There are many MA and MS programs that offer job opportunities in addition to lots of research and training opportunities. Besides your first point is justification enough; without relevant education and training your PhD opportunities will dwindle. In my Master's program I was very research and training intensive and I was working with clients and making eniugh amount of money to eat, keep a roof over my head and get to mandatory sites further away when I needed to.

However it is not unheard of with your GPA, a stellar GRE score, solid letters of recommendations, and a good interview to go straight to a PhD program like you propose. Whatever you do just make sure you plenty of research, apply to a lot of programs early and keep in touch with your former professors. My professor recommendations were a great bonus for me in addition to my GPA to get into internships from my non-traditional educational background.

Last edited: