Program-Specific Info / Q's Graduates/current students: opinions on Belmont's OTD Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureOT1085

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was accepted into Belmont's OTD program and I am trying to decide if I should accept or decline the offer. I'm considering not accepting the offer because of the extra 5 months in school (since it is an OTD and not an MOT), as well as the extra cost of tuition. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone could speak of their experiences at Belmont and/or had any advice for me? I won't hear back from my first choice program until late January, and I have to let Belmont know of my decision by tomorrow (so, Belmont would be more of a "back-up" option for me in the event I would not be accepted into that school). Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was accepted into Belmont's OTD program and I am trying to decide if I should accept or decline the offer. I'm considering not accepting the offer because of the extra 5 months in school (since it is an OTD and not an MOT), as well as the extra cost of tuition. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone could speak of their experiences at Belmont and/or had any advice for me? I won't hear back from my first choice program until late January, and I have to let Belmont know of my decision by tomorrow (so, Belmont would be more of a "back-up" option for me in the event I would not be accepted into that school). Thank you!
hey! not sure what decision you made yet, but I was also accepted to Belmont's OTD this cycle. I still haven't heard back from 2 programs and prob won't until feb/march so I had decided to put my deposit down anyway so I would save my spot. At this point though I have pretty much decided I will most likely attend Belmont, so I can't offer any insight to the program as a current student but this is what led me to my decision. I also really debated OTD vs. MOT, and for a while thought the OTD was pointless, however these are the reasons I really see the OTD as beneficial. First, the extra length of schooling is honestly so little in the scheme of life so for me that was a silly reason. The extra cost is def a big thing, but again these programs are already so expensive I was just kinda like whatever what are some more loans lol (maybe not the best mindset). I really like the extra opportunities an OTD may offer that an MOT will not, such as the ability to teach at some point and be more likely to be considered for a director of rehab position. I also do think that ultimately the field is headed in the doctorate direction and it will definitely be cheaper/less time doing it now than deciding to go back to school (but I do know we would most likely be grandfathered in). And if the field is headed in that direction, many years in the future everyone around you may have a higher degree and I personally think that could lead one to be passed up for opportunities. This is just some of my insight on the OTD. In terms of Belmont's program specifically I really do like their curriculum and the location is great, especially for fieldwork opportunities since there are so many healthcare employers in the area. I also really like that they emphasize service and giving back in their program! I have heard nothing but good things from current students and the campus is beautiful!

hey! not sure what decision you made yet, but I was also accepted to Belmont's OTD this cycle. I still haven't heard back from 2 programs and prob won't until feb/march so I had decided to put my deposit down anyway so I would save my spot. At this point though I have pretty much decided I will most likely attend Belmont, so I can't offer any insight to the program as a current student but this is what led me to my decision. I also really debated OTD vs. MOT, and for a while thought the OTD was pointless, however these are the reasons I really see the OTD as beneficial. First, the extra length of schooling is honestly so little in the scheme of life so for me that was a silly reason. The extra cost is def a big thing, but again these programs are already so expensive I was just kinda like whatever what are some more loans lol (maybe not the best mindset). I really like the extra opportunities an OTD may offer that an MOT will not, such as the ability to teach at some point and be more likely to be considered for a director of rehab position. I also do think that ultimately the field is headed in the doctorate direction and it will definitely be cheaper/less time doing it now than deciding to go back to school (but I do know we would most likely be grandfathered in). And if the field is headed in that direction, many years in the future everyone around you may have a higher degree and I personally think that could lead one to be passed up for opportunities. This is just some of my insight on the OTD. In terms of Belmont's program specifically I really do like their curriculum and the location is great, especially for fieldwork opportunities since there are so many healthcare employers in the area. I also really like that they emphasize service and giving back in their program! I have heard nothing but good things from current students and the campus is beautiful!
Thank you so much for this thoughtful response!! I actually decided to decline the invitation due to my preference for the MOT and I didn't want to have the extra financial burden, but I definitely understand where you're coming from (your pros for the OTD were also on my list :) ). I hope that you will enjoy your time there-- it seems like a wonderful school!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how full their class is ? im trying to decide if I should apply? I would love to go their but its weird because they changed their deadline to apply from a specific date to rolling

Do you know how full their class is ? im trying to decide if I should apply? I would love to go their but its weird because they changed their deadline to apply from a specific date to rolling
hey! I am unsure of that specifically but I do know they accepted people through early decision and then early applicants. Im not sure how many they admitted vs. waitlisted but they did mention they run through their waitlist quite a bit. I would say it doesn't hurt to apply but I think good chance they are fairly full

they have 5-10 spots currently but said it’s changing daily and that they really dip into their waitlist usually. They also said they are probably going to host one more interview day