1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Graduating Early

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by premd, Jul 29, 2006.

1. premd

premd Member
    5+ Year Member

I have enough AP credits to graduate a semester early. I'm thinking about graduating early as it would save me $22,000. Does anyone know what medical schools think of graduating early?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They care about you graduating early about as much as I care about the ant I killed a few minutes ago.

4. OofWillis

OofWillis Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I was in the same boat as you. I could've graduated earlier, but my pre-med advisor told me some med schools don't like it. For me though, it definitely wasn't an additional $22,000. I think it all depends on what you do after graduating early though. If you play XBOX in your pajamas, not a good thing. If you volunteer at a hospital, do research, etc., a good thing. You may want to call individual schools though and ask them personally. That would be the best advice.

5. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I graduated a year early. I had the option to graduate early and I didn't have the money for an additional year. If med schools have a problem with it, then I wouldn't want to be a part of that program anyways. If it saves you $22k, I say do it. If you have the grades/scores, activities, etc, you will be fine for med school.

6. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Fine graduate early. But take the year off and travel. Apply for a Rhodes, Marshall, Gates Scholarship-- study abroad. Learn a language, an instrument....Do something interesting-- learn more about the world and the way things work in that time instead of going straight into medical school.

There are too many docs out there who are striaght out of undergrad and have real trouble relating to patients. Don't be one of them. Have a life. It will make you a better candidate anyway.

7. starflower

starflower Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    A year or a semester? If it's just a semester, it should be fine because it will be after you have interviewed at lots of places. I have a friend who graduated a semester early with a bio degree, and she already had an acceptance before the end of the fall semester.

8. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would recommend taking a year off before you apply. That will give you something unique to talk about. Even if it is only you working at the NIH, or fill in the blank hospital as a lab tech. Go travel before you have an interview. Go work in the third world.

9. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Graduate early. I'm pretty sure med schools don't care. In fact, if you use the semester or year or whatever to do meaningful stuff, then it's better than staying in school possibly. Several of my friends finished a semester early and then did stuff (ER tech, research). They were more than fine.

10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In addition to what sentrosi said, I would take a semester off just to relax (of course, you should do something with your time....volunteer, go abroad whatever) because it will make you a bit different and it will certainly give you some well-needed relaxation time.
    -Dr. P.

11. heeseop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    im actually in the same position as well.
    im going to graduate a semester early.. i figure why not.
    it'll save me money and ill be able to relax before med school, if i do get accepted..(although ill probably be researching and volunteering)

12. lexy10

lexy10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i graduated early just to save money and it come up only once...at Mayo, I said I was done with my program and was ready to leave, my interviewer agreed that when you are done you are done, period. No problems. I got my first acceptance to med school in october. won't hurt you....

13. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Doesn't matter unless you finish early and sit on your ass for a semester. Just be sure to have a reason to explain it on secondaries and interviews.

14. AznDoc

AznDoc Ninja of the Nasty
    5+ Year Member

i decided to graduate a whole year early from uconn because ever since my freshmen year i've been taking 18-20 credits/semester. this past school year i sat down with my advisor and figured out that with all of the extra coursework, i could graduate a whole year early (i'm not messing around with a minor or anything). so i'm doing it to get it over with. but i don't think med schools care one iota if you graduate a year early or sit out for 5. just make sure you sell yourself and stay competitive.

15. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah, I could *technically* graduate 1.5 years early (that's taking 15 credits each semester for the next three), but I'm just going to get out a year early. Most med schools just require that you have the prereqs and spent at least 3 years in undergrad. Some don't even require you to have a degree (but if you're going to go to school that long, might as well get one anyway).

16. 71263

71263 Guest
    7+ Year Member

I graduated a year early and went straight to med school. But I was also part of a BS/MD program. I had alot of AP credits myself. I would caution you with that, as there are many schools that do not accept AP credit as a valid substitute, especially with reqs.

17. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Personally I recommend going full 4 years. If anything just do a minor. I'll end up with 140 credits instead of the normal 124. If you are graduating before the age of 21-22 I think that is a little too young. Schools do like maturity. So if you are applying at the age of 21 that would be fine. Anything less it's a little hard to believe you've done enough living.

(Average age of matrics is 24 after all).

18. Matth52

Matth52 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Go ahead and get done early. I'm in the application process now and this will be my third and final year of college. As long as your course work is straight, it will all be good.

19. DarkFark

DarkFark Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I was in this exact situation. At your interviews, they will ask you what you are doing with the free time. I told them I was going to go skiing and keep working in lab. And that is what I did (in that order). No one seemed to mind.

Do it. I did, splitting my time between ski slopes, lab, and college-sans-class.

Best semester ever. Also the cheapest- I took a trip to Vail, and it cost LESS than a week's worth of tuition. And that was the most expensive week of that semester by far.