Graduating from Canadian Med School, want to work in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldenSunGirl88

Golden Sun Girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Actually I still have 2 years of undergrad left, but I think I'd better ask now:
If I intend to go to a med school in Canada (specifically McGill in Quebec) and want to work as a doctor in the USA, what would I have to do? What is the best strategy?

Most of the posts I've looked up had USA med school grads wanting to work in Canada, but my situation's the reverse.

:confused: I'm pretty much clueless on this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There shouldn't be any specific burden. Your MD would be accepted in the US. You can try to match for residencies in the US, or do your residency in Canada and go there for practice. The great majority of Canadian residencies are accepted in the US as equivalents (neurosurgery is an exception).

Hi everyone,

Actually I still have 2 years of undergrad left, but I think I'd better ask now:
If I intend to go to a med school in Canada (specifically McGill in Quebec) and want to work as a doctor in the USA, what would I have to do? What is the best strategy?

Most of the posts I've looked up had USA med school grads wanting to work in Canada, but my situation's the reverse.

:confused: I'm pretty much clueless on this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
There are so many ifs in your question.
The best strategy now is to get excellent grades and build your resume so you're accepted into McGill.
In Med school, plan to write all your USMLEs (step 1 and 2 CK/CS) and the MCCQE1. That will open doors for residencies in both countries when it's time to apply.