Graduating from college in May

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daravan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm graduating from NYU in May and was wondering if anyone could answer me this: Can I apply to post-bac programs to start in the fall if I haven't graduated yet and therefore don't have my official transcript? In other words, do you think I could send the rest of my application so that they have it on file and then just send that last piece of the puzzle after I graduate? Or should I wait to send everything together?

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply but better apply ASAP because most post-bac programs do rolling admissions, and by now, a lot of the spots may be taken. But why not take an extra year to graduate and take your courses at NYU? You don't have to go to a formal post-bac program, though if you want to, Columbia has a good program. You should be able to get an official transcript that shows your coursework through last semester.

Beth

daravan said:
Hi everyone! I'm graduating from NYU in May and was wondering if anyone could answer me this: Can I apply to post-bac programs to start in the fall if I haven't graduated yet and therefore don't have my official transcript? In other words, do you think I could send the rest of my application so that they have it on file and then just send that last piece of the puzzle after I graduate? Or should I wait to send everything together?

I can't speak to all post-bac programs, but I'm currently doing the Goucher program, and we do have a few people in the class who graduated from college last year and then started the post-bac program right after. So I know that at least in Goucher's case, you can certainly apply before you've graduated.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have a transcript on file, just that you have some classes without final grades since you're in them now. Just apply now with the transcript you already have, then send the school you get into another one when you're finished (they might request this if you get in).

NYU specifically is odd, and does not let post-bac applicants apply until after they have received their final transcripts and degrees.

As far as I know this is the only school with such requirements. Im finishing school this may and have applied and been accepted to several post-bac programs...waiting to send out my NYU app though.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I am most likely not going to do the NYU post-bac program, but I might apply anyway. I plan on applying to Columbia and Rutgers and not sure about other programs. I need to stay in the NJ/NYC area so that I can live at home. That's why Rutgers would be best, because it's near my house, and it has an MCAT prep program, and its overall post-bac program seems really good. Everyone here (at school and at home) has been telling me that I should do a formal program (instead of extending my graduation), which I happen to agree is the best thing for me in this situation.

A friend of mine suggested I take gen chem this summer, just to get underway. Does anyone know anything about registering for one course at Rutgers without actually being enrolled in a program yet? Is it possible?

daravan said:
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I am most likely not going to do the NYU post-bac program, but I might apply anyway. I plan on applying to Columbia and Rutgers and not sure about other programs. I need to stay in the NJ/NYC area so that I can live at home. That's why Rutgers would be best, because it's near my house, and it has an MCAT prep program, and its overall post-bac program seems really good. Everyone here (at school and at home) has been telling me that I should do a formal program (instead of extending my graduation), which I happen to agree is the best thing for me in this situation.

A friend of mine suggested I take gen chem this summer, just to get underway. Does anyone know anything about registering for one course at Rutgers without actually being enrolled in a program yet? Is it possible?

You could find out with a simple phone call...straight from the horse's mouth

Zoom-Zoom said:
You could find out with a simple phone call...straight from the horse's mouth

That's my next step. Thanks. =D

Pemulis said:
I can't speak to all post-bac programs, but I'm currently doing the Goucher program, and we do have a few people in the class who graduated from college last year and then started the post-bac program right after. So I know that at least in Goucher's case, you can certainly apply before you've graduated.

Hmm, those people probably applied early in their last year of undergrad, though, right? Because the website says you can start applying in September...But you have to apply by April. So I don't know if there would still be spots open NOW in [almost] March. I will call them about it though. Also, did your classes start in June or July?

Thanks,
Dara

daravan said:
Hmm, those people probably applied early in their last year of undergrad, though, right? Because the website says you can start applying in September...But you have to apply by April. So I don't know if there would still be spots open NOW in [almost] March. I will call them about it though. Also, did your classes start in June or July?

Thanks,
Dara

The program starts in early June. As for applications, I know that they are still interviewing people for next year (it's a small class, so it's pretty obvious whenever we have a visitor). And some of my classmates I know weren't admitted until April or May of last year (one of my best friends in the program got in off the waitlist in May).

Goucher's an awesome program and I couldn't recommend it more highly. If you or anyone else has questions about it, feel free to PM me. One caveat: it might take me a few days to reply, because I'm a little busy at the moment. :)

Good luck with whatever you do.