Graduating High School with 62 credit hours, need assistance on what to do next!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walz von der Pfalz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
To start off, I'm in a bit of a strange predicament and I hope I'm allowed to post this here but I'm a bit new and couldn't find any info on where to ask this, anyways here we go (Also this is a long read, just forewarning).
I had started in a dual enrollment program in my junior year of high school at a local community college and had taken initially two 12 credit semesters (2 As, 2 Bs, then 2nd semester 3 As, 1 B) before transferring to a State University (still in high school though). I took 14 credits the first semester (3 As, 1 B) and at the moment I'm taking a 21 credit semester in order to have enough to be able to apply to REUs for over the summer (just to start getting a bit of research hours, may or may not have a chance). Overall I had done significantly better in the college environment then at a high school, going into my junior year I had a GPA of 2.91 and after the two semesters of community college rose up to a 3.33 and if I do well this semester should end up being a 3.55-3.6ish. Because of the amount of credits I have after I graduate this semester I'd really like to be able to hold at least the ones pertaining to a general bio pre-med track while other electives I took just to fulfill my high school requirements can go in the trash.

My first round of SAT in my junior year was absolutely abysmal at about a 1160, I hope to get it to perhaps a 1250 or 1300 before this semester ends. I really don't have a chance to go into any good private undergraduate schools that are primarily for medicine that I'm aiming for with these SAT scores, GPA, and lack of any school related extra curricular as a freshman so I've been focused on trying to get in as a transfer. Even if I did miraculously manage to get into one of these schools as a freshman most of them wouldn't take the AP class I took, and only up to none-12 credit hours (out of the 62) from the cc and uni. But here's a bit of a iffy situation, though these are all college credits I am still not technically a transfer student. BUT, if I fulfill their transfer student requirements as a non-high school student after I graduate (ranging from 24-28 crs) I would be able to apply as one and be able to have my credits I earned in high school transfer, all the schools will accept my credits except for maybe one public speaking course (but who cares, its public speaking). Now here's another iffy situation, the schools I'm interested in will only take up to 50-64 credits (depending on which school) and then force you to be with them for at least 2 years (which is fine). I'm really just worried about having to retake a lot of freshman level classes and a few "rigorous" classes (maybe you won't find these classes difficult). such as literature, history, basic maths, Calc I, and the two physics I'll have done by the end of this semester. Its not that they were hard, the only semi difficult ones that took a bit of study time were physics and calc, I just would really prefer to not have to retake them all over again preferably.

I'd like to be able to transfer into a good private undergraduate University such as Emory, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Case Western, just to name a few but I'm not sure if I would have a chance at getting into them as a transfer either. The main motivation behind trying to get into such a school is for the research opportunities, more challenging classes, getting out of a rural setting with limited opportunities with anything pertaining to pre-med, forming connections and better preparation for the MCAT (which is the ultimate goal, and I just don't feel like the current school I'm at has professors on par with those of schools listed). I've been also recommended by those schools, after contacting recruiters, to rather apply as a transfer then a freshmen due to my predicament. I've really tried my best to makeup for my shortcomings in high school and have dedicated myself to doing well in my college classes, do I have any chance of getting into a school like Emory, Vanderbilt, or Baylor as a undergrad transfer student? Would it even be a good idea? Or should I focus on staying at a state college, do well in my classes, and just prepare for the MCAT that way? (Main Question is down below)

As far as some stats go to help determine that:
Current High School GPA: 3.47
Estimated High School GPA after this semester: 3.55-3.6 (upward trend from 2.91 in sophomore year)
Current SAT: 1160
Estimated SAT after Semester: 1230-1300 (because I've actually prepared and feel more confident now as opposed to beforehand)
Current College Cumulative: 3.65
Estimated College Cumulative after this semester: 3.65-3.68 (upward trend from cc and uni)
Current College Science: 3.55
Estimated College Science after this semester: 3.5-3.65 (upward trend from cc and uni)
Shadowing: 7 Pediatric, 14 Dentist, 12 Vet, 55 Orthopedic Hand Surgeon, 14 Physical Therapy
Volunteering (Clinical): none, I plan on getting on that right after this semester, I have no free time at this point (needs improvement)
Volunteering (Non-Clinical): 10 ish nursing home (needs improvement)
Honors: Deans List x3 (that's per semester right?)
Employment History: none that I can think of, parents wouldn't let me get a job for school
Extracurricular activities: Almost at a point where I can get my private pilot's licence, running and general gym activities (lost 80 pounds since last year thanks to running), head of a small history discussion group that I created with some friends, SkillsUSA (national graphic design competitions), Tennis 6 years (but not connected to the school), EAA 3 years, maybe a few more I can't think of, this area really needs improvement
Languages (Not sure if this is relevant): English (Fluent, Native), German (Fluent, citizen because of mother), 2 years of Latin (1 in high school but it counted as 2 years since it was accelerated and then another year while I was in the German education system)
Research: none at the moment, might be able to get into in state REU this summer if I get lucky
Connections to said Goal schools: practically none, the only one is Emory. I'll have a letter of recommendation from a Hand Surgeon who went there for undergrad then graduated from Harvard Medical.

What path should I choose? Should I attempt to get into these upper-tier universities for the rest of my pre-med track after getting the necessary credits over the next two semesters at my state university to transfer? Or should I just stick to state level and just focus on getting good grades and getting a good MCAT score? it just seems like there are a lot of more opportunities at such schools, and it helps if you went to their undergraduate when applying for their med schools. I just don't know if these are competitive stats, I've looked into average transfer student college GPAs for the schools listed and I seem to be a little above their average (not entirely sure for Vanderbilt) and they of course have higher acceptance rates compared to freshman for the sake of money. Also, I've considered the financial aspects to all this and how much more it would cost.

Also, the courses I would take if I went down the transfer path would be principles of Biology 1&2, Calc II or Stats, along with a few electives to hit the 28cr transfer requirement.

Any help would be appreciated, ever since I found this forum the other day I've spent my time where I'm not studying reading up through areas under MCAT Discussions, Pre-Medical - MD, and What Are My Chances. This place seems really fun and informative and I plan on using it for a long time! Also, this is just all so much for me right now and I don't have many people to talk to about this since I have no family connection to the medical field so sorry about that!

Members don't see this ad.

My biggest accomplishment in high school was to cook chicken alone lol

Members don't see this ad :)
You may also want to post this on college confidential, in the highschool section.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t stress about the name of the college.

Get As, volunteer one afternoon a week, shadow a doc ~20-40hrs, get As, study for mcat, get As, be a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.